Default Has anyone used a plastic extractor?

I was looking to buy a Honey extractor. I only have one hive so it does not have to be big. I found this plastic extractor online at betterbee inc for $115.00. It looks like it will work fine, but I just wanted to know if anyone has seen or used one. Here is a link to see it. Thanks
    http://www.betterbee.com/Products/Ex...oney-Extractor

Default Re: Has anyone used a plastic extractor?

I have 3 hive and I just crush and strain. Although I go foundationless. Less equipment to store/up keep.

I have one and don't really like it. I extracted deep frames and had my son sit on it to keep it steady. After one use the handle is bent. You get what you pay for but if you baby it it will work. I bought a bunch of used equipment and it was part of the package. Wouldn't have bought it otherwise.

Seems like it must be a whole lot of plastic. The shipping weight is 42lbs!!!

Quote Originally Posted by sleddingdennis View Post
    I have 3 hive and I just crush and strain.
    That is my plan also. I am somewhat concerned about the amount of drawn comb that is lost. Do you see that as a handicap to your production?
    Like us on facebook This is the place to bee!
    Ralph

Last year, I bought the one that Bluesky offers (they are an advertiser here so I'd rather support them) and I think it probably is the same one you are looking at. I will probably buy a 9 frame motorized Maxant this year but I'll keep the plastic one.

It isn't the easiest to keep in place if the frames are a little unbalanced, but for a small number of frames, you can't beat it for the price. The main problem I had with it was that I could crank it fast enough to blow out some combs. It washes up easily and stores away easily. As I said, I'm going to keep it, using it for those times when I want to extract only a super or two early.

I will likely build a sturdy stand for it, with uprights that I can lash it to in order to better keep it in place.

For just a few hives, I'd buy it again.

Wayne

Take a look at this video, y'all: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4lwVgHTja0

I don't own an extractor, but I've been borrowing them for years, making mental notes on what I liked/disliked about each. I borrowed a 2-frame plastic one once. It was adequate, did the job, but wasn't something I wanted to spend money on. As 'hystad' noted, if you baby it, it will probably last a few years, but if you stay in beekeeping, you'll be buying another down the road.

After years of waiting, I'll be picking up my Maxant 3100 in a couple weeks....

I have to say $115 for a bucket with a spindle is kind of steep. And it only holds 2 frames! I can get a 9 frame Maxant for $379. That may sound pricey, but it will outlast the plastic one and it is way more stable. Best I can upgrade it with a motor the following year.
    Klamath Basin Beekeepers Association: www.klamathbeekeepers.org
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/groups/kbbafb/

I have a 3 frame plastic maxant extractor. It works well.

The problem with most plastic extractors is they don't have legs. I have to place it on a chair over my honey pail. Kinda a pain.
    Pearl City Apiary Michael and Loucil Bach

I bought one for my Grandson. He has ten hives. Used this extractor over the week-end. It worked fine.