Default Banner ads.: 'I think that was meant for me.'

I've noticed some banner ads appearing that would normally not belong on a beekeeping site.

For instance: there's a banner ad from 'life technologies' aka Invitrogen.

I do have an account with them and order reagents from them so I wondered if banner ads on beesource are tailored to individuals. You know, the whole google ads thing.

I wonder if I said 'Qiagen' in a post if a Qiagen banner ad would majically appear?

Default Re: Banner ads.: 'I think that was meant for me.'

I have an add for google ads.

The "Google ads thing" are tailored to content of the page, not to individuals. For instance, when I opened your thread. the banner ad across the top read "Google AdWords - Start with $75 of free advertising on us."

Now I have Google AdWords running on most of the websites I run, but it is the content of this thread that triggered the Google banner, not the fact that I am an Adwords participant.

Wayne

OK
    I clicked on the play button on the banner add and it has options for adding/removing categories and opting out. It's based on your browser interests and cookies.

SO, it was meant for me.

Google just started doing these banner ads. Even though I have my settings to only show text ads, they are "forcing" these banners on first views. I've sent them an email, but I don't expect a reply. I'll have to spend more time looking into this and see if there is a way around.
    Regards, Barry

Not so fast Barry.

You might want to check on the book value of beesource before you start monkeying around with a revenue stream.

Creative bunch those folks at google. I really dont mind them, actually think it's a pretty good idea to tailor ads to specific interests
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by waynesgarden View Post
    The "Google ads thing" are tailored to content of the page, not to individuals. For instance, when I opened your thread. the banner ad across the top read "Google AdWords - Start with $75 of free advertising on us."

Now I have Google AdWords running on most of the websites I run, but it is the content of this thread that triggered the Google banner, not the fact that I am an Adwords participant.

Wayne
    They can also do adds based on website syou recently visited. I have a campmor ad right now because I was browsing their online shop recently, and it certinly has nothing to do with this thread.

Look at it this way: Barry doesn't charge for this forum. So, it's one way that he can get some compensation for his efforts.

By the way, the new setup and banner ads has helped increase the value/revenues for the site according to alexa.com .

I dont mind the adds either, as long as they don't turn into those tacky "top tips to burn belly fat" type ads, or ads that make noises/ play videos when the page loads.