Hybrid View

Default My first Cut-Out Pics and Extraction Question

Did my first cut out yesterday after 3 weeks of failed cone trap out. I learned a lot yesterday. I'm having trouble with the file manager and could only upload these pics. There must be other factors than file size and dimensions, because it's not working for me.

cutout1.jpgcutout4.jpgcutout9.jpg

I really wanted to show you the queen cells that I found and put into the hive afterwords. The best of the brood went into the new hive as well. I learned that I need a bigger bee vacuum with a better intake hose.

Extraction Question: Do I just crush out the honey that's there or can I melt everything and separate it out by layers of wax, honey, garbage? I don't intend to eat this honey, but would like to salvage as much wax as possible. Any thoughts?

Default Re: My first Cut-Out Pics and Extraction Question

Don't heat the honey - ruins it for man or beast. Just crush the honeycomb and use a kitchen strainer or panty hose to separate honey and everything else. Place wax from stainer in cheesecloth and heat with water in crockpot. When the crockpot water cools, your wax will be in a cake under the water and bee parts will be stuck in cheesecloth. Good luck.