Thread: Nicot Questions

Default Nicot Questions

I decided to try the nicot system for the first time this year and I am having trouble with it. The first time I tried i put the queen in the cell grid and after 3 days she had the thing full of eggs and i released her back into the hive. 2 days later i went back into the hive to start transferring the cell cups into my cell builder and they had cleaned out all the eggs. I tried on a different colony and tried keeping the queen confined for 4 days thinking maybe they would let the eggs hatch with the queen being there. This time i also fed 1/1 and pollen sub since we are in a dearth. Checked on the 2nd day, full of eggs, came back two days later and they had cleaned out all but 5 of the eggs. I went ahead and transfered those cups to my queenless colony in hopes of maybe they will raise a couple but i cant figure out where im going wrong. The cell grid is in the middle of the brood nest but they wont let a single egg hatch, any ideas??

Default Re: Nicot Questions

I have tried it and have never gotten the queen to lay in it.I finally ended up grafting into the cups and using it all that way.

I would rather not graft though. I know people have had success w/ the nicot system. I just wonder would it be easier to use earlier in the year during swarm season?

I just left the queen in the grid for about 3 months or some where close to that make sure you have a frame of young larva faceing the grid if you leve a few larva in the cups this will keep nurse bees in the grid and always pull out any larva that is about to spin its cocoon.I would collect the very tiny larva and the others that are eggs would work them to the outer edge and place the new cell cups in the center.Some time you can also graft the next day or may be 2 days you can graft again.

You will need to add support brood to the hive that has the grid in it if you leave her in the grid for a long time.

I put the Jenter box (I don't have a Nicot, but it's basically the same) in the brood nest a few days before I start and it stays there the rest of the queen rearing season. In the middle of open brood. By the time I confine the queen there is brood in the frame that contains the Jenter box. When I release her it is still in the middle of open brood. The nurse bees will care for all the larvae around under these circumstances.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF