Hybrid View

Default Checking for emergence from grafted cells?

Do you go back a few days after planting cells to check for emergence or do you make your first check when you are checking for eggs?

Thanks
    Dan

Default Re: Checking for emergence from grafted cells?

It depends on how much time I have...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I check for emergence, and at the same time try to ensure that each mating nuc still has a supply of honey, pollen, brood, and empty comb.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni

What do you do when the cell was a dud? That is, if you don't have another cell at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by David LaFerney View Post
    What do you do when the cell was a dud? That is, if you don't have another cell at the time.
    PUNT!! Sorry I couldn't help myself. I'm wondering if you mean after planting in a queenless hive or in a nuc. There seems to be more than one train of thought going on here. If you planted it in a queenless hive, I would hope that you had an extra queen in a nuc for just such an emergency. That is what I plan to do when I get around to grafting. Or if I ever get genetics that I want to graft from. Next spring I intend to set up some nucs just for the banking of queens. If I don't need them then I can expand my Apiary or sell or give them away.
    So much to learn, so little time!!

I mark them with a single white thumbtack and try to make sure I give them a frame with eggs, as soon as possible, to help reduce laying worker problems. Right now, I am between queen cell batches and have several mating nucs with white thumb tacks (telling me they are awaiting a cultured queen cell). I am watching them most closely until my next batch of queen cells is ready to place. If they raise their own queen cells from the eggs I give them, I will remove them when I place the cultured cell, but usually only if I sure those cells are older than my cultured cell. I think they help the new cultured virgins have a purpose -- destroy rival queens.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni