Default Swarm Bait Box and Getting Permission

I live in California's Central Valley and am looking to place swarm bait boxes around as I've gotten into beekeeping too late this year and spent my money building hives.

My question is: If I see a good tree location for a bait box at the side of the road(on the road side of any fencing), do I need to find an owner of the land behind the fence to ask if I can place a bait box up in the tree? I just don't want to do this wrong and get turned in or turned on by local ranchers. Also, can I place these on public lands?

It seems whenever I see bait trap videos, they are out in the middle of nowhere's forest. I just don't have those types of areas around here.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Chris.

Default Re: Swarm Bait Box and Getting Permission

This is really a legal question.

The fence would be on the owners property, but how far back from the property line is it.

Your talking about road/highway property in front of this property line, a county may give permission, but doughtful. The state I am sure would say " No ".

Best bet call the County Court House, and the State Hwy. Dept. and ask also call BLM or whoever controls the public land in your area.

Also if I were to see you out by my fence line fooling around, I would be down to see what was going on very quickly, and not in a happy mood !

Good Luck
    PCM

Why not just go to the horses mouth and ask the landowner. You're in an agricultural area where most landowners are sympathetic to beekeepers. 99.9% of the time the guy is not going to slug you for asking!

Agree with fish-stix. The direct approach is always best. If you get told no, you can bet it was for a good reason, in their mind anyway.

Having lived in the country for most of my adult life, I have observed that something odd, like a swarm trap, on the side of the road would be used as a target by idiots with guns. (That is, in the absence of the much-preferred deer-crossing sign.)

Wayne

Why go out into the stick's and risk losing your bait hives, like you i built some this year, the first one i finished i put in my garden next to my workshed on a stack of four spare tyres, three days later a huge swarm took up residence much to my amazement. I live in central London, U.K. and if i can attract swarms there well dont go looking for them let them come looking for you
    Smiffy.

Talk to the land owner, heck they may even know where a feral hive is and you can set up near it every year. Jim
    Stop and smell the flowers, 50,000 ladies can't be wrong
    Bsweetapiary@aol.com