Thread: Matting Nuc's

Default Matting Nuc's

I have a couple of question on matting nucís. I raised my first queen cellís (9) and Iím getting ready to put them in matting nucís. I plan on installing 1 frame of brood and one frame of empty comb or comb with honey which ever I can find, and putting two Queen cells in each nuc, between the frames. The question I have us after I make up the matting nucís I will not be able to move them to another bee yard, will it work if I cover the entrance whole with a screen for three days so the bees cant leave, the queen should be out on the fourth day? Any ideas on how to keep the bees from drifting or is it an issue with the brood in the nuc?
    Thanks
    Jay T

Default Re: Matting Nuc's

>I have a couple of question on matting nuc’s. I raised my first queen cell’s (9) and I’m getting ready to put them in matting nuc’s. I plan on installing 1 frame of brood and one frame of empty comb or comb with honey which ever I can find

Make sure they have a frame of honey. They will short of foragers as all of them will return to the original hive so they will need food.

> and putting two Queen cells in each nuc, between the frames.

I would just put one...

>The question I have us after I make up the matting nuc’s I will not be able to move them to another bee yard

I never do.

> will it work if I cover the entrance whole with a screen for three days so the bees cant leave, the queen should be out on the fourth day?

I never do. I just shake an extra frame of bees from some open brood into the mating nuc and call it good.

> Any ideas on how to keep the bees from drifting or is it an issue with the brood in the nuc?

I shake in an extra frame of bees and that evens out the drifting enough.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Default Re: Matting Nuc's

Thanks Michael Bush I had some of the same questions, just reading sometimes finds you answers like this.........
    Matt....