Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: Russell Apiaries SunKist Cordovan Queens

They look just like the one I got from Robert. Aren't they beauties? I hope looks indicate something good. That beauty is not just skin deep. I'm looking forward to seeing how mine does.
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

Nice to see you guys are enjoying the ladies. Lol. My sister "the queen bee" glenda (lol) fell in love with the cordovan color many years ago when my father first decided to try to work the color into the Sunkist lines... she tears up still (remembering the good ol days when my father was around) when she sees them...

The original intent was to add the coloration to just the grafting stocks, so that the queens would be the only ones with the bright color... making them much easier to spot in a overly packed hive of sunkists... but it wasn't long before we decided to just start a cordovan colored Sunkist line all on its own...

Well, of the group of eight cells I grafted in order to have cups full of royal jelly to do double-grafts with, four had reached the point where the JZsBZs cell cups were full of royal jelly (the other four were aborted), so I removed the larvae from those four cups, added four more empty cups to the bar, split the royal jelly equally among the eight cups, then grafted fresh young larvae into each cup. Now, it's two days later and the bees have accepted four of the eight grafts, and they've removed nearly all of the royal jelly from all of the cups (all of it from the aborted cups), and the four accepted larvae are floating in very tiny beds of royal jelly that I expect will grow deeper as the larvae grow, as is usual - we will see. Next time I will simply pluck out the resident larvae and graft in a new, younger larvae, without disturbing the bed of royal jelly, that might make a difference in how the bees deal with the royal jelly, maybe if it's layers are undisturbed the bees won't feel the need to remove it.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni

I've also been busy feeding frames of drone comb into the heart of the SunKist Cordovan (SKC) nucs, at least one from each SKC nuc has been laid-up, as soon as they're laid I've been moving them to strong hives to be grown out (I can hardly wait to see all those golden yellow drones). I've been replacing each laid-up frame with another frame of drone comb, once these are laid-up and moved to strong hives I will replace them with combs that only have about 1/3 drone cells, then let each nuc raise some of their own drones. Already about one third of the workers are from the new queens, beautiful Cordovan workers, soon most of those nucs will be entirely Cordovan.

The SKC nucs are certainly growing quickly, I've been feeding most of my nucs and hives a little pollen substitute, including the SKC nucs. I've grafted a few queens from each SKC nuc, harvested a frame or two, of brood from each SKC nuc, using those to keep brood in other queenless nucs (inhibiting laying workers while queen cells emerge and queens mature, mate and begin laying). The SKC nucs seem to be finding more pollen and nectar forage than many of the other nucs and that is curious, but encouraging. It's curious because none of the SKC workers are old enough to forage, yet. Maybe they'll do even better once the SKC workers get out in the field.
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 07-14-2011 at 05:00 PM.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF

I recently got 2 of these queens from Dr. Russel, and got some pictures of one of them today - plenty of brood, but no adults from her yet.

As you can see she's a nice big queen, and she mostly just went on laying - although she clearly didn't like the bright sunlight very much. Sorry the pictures aren't better.

amazing how beautiful.

I don't see how they could have been better.

I'm doing a Farmers Mkt at Clarkson University tomorrow. I'm going to take my computer and hope I can get back to this Thread to show people what a queen looks like. Thanks for posting this here. It's great.
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

Yeah - they look pretty outstanding for store bought queens. I hope this is one business that is left were you don't have to do "Always the Low Price" to stay in the market - although they have some value priced queens too which I bet are also excellent. A friend of mine got a $25 carni that looks extremely big even compared to these beauties.

Also, Dr Russell absolutely bends over backwards to help us out on here and when you buy even just a few queens.

BTW, you know that you can right click on the pictures and save them on your local computer right? "Save Image as..." then navigate to your desktop or wherever.

I see - you don't see how the pictures could be better - I didn't get a good shot where you could see all of her including the eyes. IE she wouldn't pose to suit me in the bright sun. Although you can see the bust of a Native American really clearly that they marked her with.

I got 2 absolutely beautiful black Carni's from Russell. They are huge and laying well. If they survive the winter, I'll use them for drone production. Got a excellent breeder from VP queens this week. Seems like it's turning into a good queen year.

I just received my Sunkist cordovan and some Carneies from Dr. Russell and they are beautiful! Gonna make up my splits in the morn.

Here are two photos of daughter queens grown from Russell Apiaries SunKist Cordovan mother queens; one has just emerged (within the past few hours), the other is mated and has just begun laying -->

48 years - 50 hives - TF

Alligator queens!

Too good to anschliesend in the almond orchards to spray dead and where is the resistance against viruses and mites ... is the American beekeepers deliver everything? Know what the eco-types?

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Clemens View Post
    Here are two photos of daughter queens grown from Russell Apiaries SunKist Cordovan mother queens; one has just emerged (within the past few hours), the other is mated and has just begun laying -->
    The top queen is not cordovan because she has black on the body. The bottom photo is cordovan as that gene replaces all the black on a bees body with brown. What that says is the mother of these two queens was a cordovan queen mated to non-cordovan drones, thus the black on the body on one of the queens.
    Last edited by beemaster01; 07-18-2011 at 02:46 PM. Reason: remove image

Don't agree. No "black" on either queen, just photographed under different lighting conditions.

But, you are correct, that would be the case, if there were any black in her exoskeleton. I tried to explain the same to a queen producer I once did business with, but they disagreed with me. They sold me a normal colored Italian queen and tried to get me to accept her as Cordovan.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Clemens View Post
    Don't agree. No "black" on either queen, just photographed under different lighting conditions.

But, you are correct, that would be the case, if there were any black in her exoskeleton. I tried to explain the same to a queen producer I once did business with, but they disagreed with me. They sold me a normal colored Italian queen and tried to get me to accept her as Cordovan.
    The eyes and thorax are very dark for a true cordovan. They appear close enough to black to be confused with a normal queen. I have normal queens with the same color eyes and thorax as the one in the picture.

You simply need to see her in good light - no mistaking her colors then. It's raining now, I'll take another shot of her in brighter light as soon as it lets up, the photo of the second queen was taken with fill-flash. I should have taken the shots in the same conditions -- I won't make that mistake again. It was poor photography to do that and confuse the defining characteristics of my subjects.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF

Okay, here's the photo redo -->

Bright, overcast lighting doesn't really bring out the color in these queens like automatic flash photography does.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF

Thumbs Up Re: Russell Apiaries SunKist Cordovan Queens

Thanks for posting , Mr Clemens

Quote Originally Posted by Horst View Post
    Too good to anschliesend in the almond orchards to spray dead and where is the resistance against viruses and mites ... is the American beekeepers deliver everything? Know what the eco-types?
    Verzeihung, ich habe nicht recht verstanden. Was ist das Fragen?

Don

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast