Default Right race for my area, summer queens to buy

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your experience on the Beesource forum. I live in Littlerock CA 93543. I am in the high desert @ 3,000', USDA zone 8. I am on my third time starting keeping bees. The first attempt was two nucs of Italian mutts from a somewhat local beekeeper. My second start was Russian/Carniolian from a reputable breeder in Northern CA. This year I bought the Russian/Carniolians again and am planning on treating them for Nosema per the breeders recommendation. I provided no treatment to the prior hives. The bees seemed to build well but dwindled in size or starved out before spring. At this point I plan on making two or three splits this summer to increase the odds of overwintering and naturalizing in hope of going without treatment. I was wondering if someone could recommend one or two races of bees for my area. Thank you for your time.
    “Everything will be all right in the end... if it's not all right then it's not yet the end”

Default Re: Right race for my area, summer queens to buy

Russians overwinter small to survive. The best course might be to try something different until you find what you like. Several are hygeinic - Buckfast, Minnesota, VSH, SMR. You might look at a world map and see what is indigenous to your climate.
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

Default Re: Right race for my area, summer queens to buy

Quote Originally Posted by AmericasBeekeeper View Post
    Russians overwinter small to survive. The best course might be to try something different until you find what you like. Several are hygeinic - Buckfast, Minnesota, VSH, SMR. You might look at a world map and see what is indigenous to your climate.
    The Russian/Carniolians seem to do well. They built out two deep boxes and a medium super each from packages but did not overwinter. The breeder suggested that they may have had Nosema and got too weak to build back up from their winter cluster. This year I plan to treat with FumagilinB. My goal is to get to having two strong hives overwinter. My plan is to try making two or three splits in order to increase my odds and work up from there. I am interested in the English Buckfast for one split. Not too interested in the Italian lineage.
    “Everything will be all right in the end... if it's not all right then it's not yet the end”