Default Found a queen cell today that was just being capped...

While I was inspecting my strongest hive today, I found a queen cell in the process of being capped by the workers. It looked like a swarm cell, sort of down at the bottom area of my foundationless comb. Either the bees plan to supercede or swarm. Would giving it about a week and then moving it to a nuc with some workers be a bad idea. My current queen seems to be a good one, so I am guessing it is most likely for a swarm.

Would moving the current queen be a better option?

Default Re: Found a queen cell today that was just being capped...

>Would giving it about a week and then moving it to a nuc with some workers be a bad idea. My current queen seems to be a good one, so I am guessing it is most likely for a swarm.

If they are swarming and they are capping it today, they will most likely swarm tomorrow if the weather permits. They will not wait until next week. Today would be the time to split them. Moving the current queen is preferred as it simulated a swarm better, but if you can't find her, just split them. If they are swarming there will be a dozen or more swarm cells...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

There was only one that I could find, and the queen was fat and still laying. I spaced the brood frames by adding un-drawn foundationless frames into the brood. Supercedure maybe?

>There was only one that I could find, and the queen was fat and still laying. ... Supercedure maybe?

With only one cell I would guess supersedure, not swarm.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I am guessing supersedure. I will check again tomorrow when I get off work. My work schedule will not allow me to check them today, so I am crossing my fingers they don't fly away.

Checked them again this morning, not sure what is going on. The queen cell from Sunday is completely open and empty. I could find no others, and the hive is still full of bees. They are currently festooning on the empty frames I put in, but I could not find the queen. I did see eggs and larva, though. I will check again in a week, if I find the old I'll know it was just a fluke of some kind. If not, then I guess it was supersedure.