Default Robber Bees caught in the act

Had I not seen this with mine own eyes, I would not have believed it. I have always heard you should be on the look out for robbing, especially when one hive is considerably weaker than the others, but I never encountered this behavior in my apiary... until now. In the video above you can clearly see many bees on the landing board holding on tightly and attempting to lift and fly off with my hive and the colony within. I'm pretty sure they would have too had I not intervened and placed a heavy rock on top of the telescoping cover. But now I fear the rock I chose is not heavy enough so if enough of these thieving bees join in and organize themselves when I am not at home to guard against it, they will fly off with my hive.

It seems I have two choices: 1) find a bigger rock or 2) nip this in the bud by simply pulling a wing off each bee I see trying to make off with my precious honey. If I just find a heavier rock, it seems that eventually (and we're talking eons I know, but still) natural selection will result in stronger and stronger robber bees and I, or whomever tends to my bees in the distant future, will always be searching for heavier and heavier rocks. I'm leaning towards choice #2. I think if I pull a wing off each robber bee I find, as long as I am careful to pull only right wings, I can save my bees and honey. I realize the thieving bees might still be able to lift off with my hive, but they will be flying in a circle so I should be able to catch them before they get too far.
    So what should I do?

Greg

Default Re: Robber Bees caught in the act

Are you kidding...?

You have to be kidding.....good joke if you are. Ncie video.
    Get a large cargo net and stake down the four courners with heavy metal stakes. Maybe cement them in with holes 4 feet deep. Good luck!
    Last edited by ctgolfer; 06-12-2011 at 05:31 PM.

It is also a good video of washboarding.
    Mike Forbes
    Red Dirt Apiaries

Good thing you caught them when you did, I've already had three hives fly off this year. I just chained the rest of them to the ground with 4 100 pound concrete anchors. It should be a lot harder for them to fly away now.

Last edited by honeyman46408; 06-12-2011 at 05:57 PM.

Flyswatter works real well. Teach em good!
    It takes a family to raise a family, it takes a village to really screw that up... Djei5

Train the your bees to self-load the hive onto the truck next time.

Like that's going happen.
    There's 10 chefs in a kitchen and still not one will tell you how to boil water unless there's something in it for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Corvair68 View Post
    Good thing you caught them when you did, I've already had three hives fly off this year. I just chained the rest of them to the ground with 4 100 pound concrete anchors. It should be a lot harder for them to fly away now.
    Next spring, plant a sprig of kudzu at the base of the hive. Instant security.
    Greg Whitehead, Ten Mile, TN
    Blog - http://gregsbees.blogspot.com/