Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

vine plants for the girls

3K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  BeeTex 
#1 ·
I am looking for some kind of vine to plant on the fence rows for the girls any thoughts?

#4 ·
I'm in Springfield, and they don't work the vining honeysuckle, trumpetvine, trumpet creeper, or grapes. They are suppose to work the Sweet Autumn Clematis but I have yet to verify this with my own eyes. I'll keep you posted in the fall. Otherwise, I'm on the lookout as well. I've read they work the honey vine which is a vining variety of butterfly weed. But then again, they don't like any varieties of the butterfly weeds I've planted here so they may not like the vining variety either. I'm still on the lookout and if I find any new info, I'll let you know.

Later, John

#5 ·
Those small, long, deep blooms on a lot of the vines are the reason the bees don't work them. They can't get to the nectar. If they could work honeysuckle, a lot of us would be in great shape. I like to pull a honeysuckle bloom and suck the nectar out of it myself! Great taste and smell.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.