Question Swarm Traps - In the city: Anyone Doing it?

I'm wondering about setting up swarm boxes in the city, and I'm wondering if any of you are doing it, have any experience and/or advice for doing it.

Where have you set them? Have you had any specific challenges, and how successful have you been?

I've got one set up in my yard, but I'm at a loss after that about where to put the other two.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Adam

Default Re: Swarm Traps - In the city: Anyone Doing it?

Ask the Parks and Recreation Department. They would love to get rid of bees.
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

I'm expecting it to be challenging, because we don't have anywhere near the number of honeybees here as they do in warmer and more populous parts of the world. I hear about guys catching many swarms in Texas, California and Florida and I wish we could get 'em like that.

There are probably no more than 20 beekeepers in our city limits. There may be less than 10.

Adam

If you see bees on flowers there are bee swarms to catch.

I don't know about your location, but I catch swarms in the city here. This year, I messed around and did not get traps out, but the bees in town need places to go just as much as the country bees. Could be that there are fewer good nest sites in town, since there are fewer hollow trees.

Could be that there are fewer good nest sites in town, since there are fewer hollow trees.
    Whaaa?? But there are thousand upon thousand house eves, garages, sheds, grills, attics, bird houses.....the list goes on. I caught a swarm at our north location last week and I am contemplating putting a trap there next year.
    Mike Forbes
    Red Dirt Apiaries

I live very rural but catch most of my swarms in town. Whenever someone calls me for a swarm or cutout I encourage them to let me place multiple swarm traps on their place the following year. I know there are bees present because I just had to remove them. These sites tend to work very well. I know of one house in a local town that is basically abandoned. It has been willed to several survivors who cannot agree on the disposition of the property. Meanwhile bees have moved in. The locals there think that I have caught three swarms from that house so far this year. I would much rather catch a swarm than have to do a cutout.
    When you stop learning you're dead.