Thread: Shallow Super

Default Shallow Super

I've experienced a strange problem, the man I stopped by his house to ask questions on bees then purchased my hat<veil & jacket to watch him do inspections provided me what I'd need to start my hive.
    I've purchase this from what he marked in the book, but its not the same as what he has. Looking at my hive body is a medium 10 frame , this looks like the same as his but when you go to the supers his looks like the same as the hive body, what he recommended was medium shallow supers. I was about to paint these and they looked small until I got to the hive body and then I knew thats what I saw at his house, I looked again in my book to see if I ordered wrong but shallows is what he circled & wrote I'd need at least 4
    My question to you is I can't spend any more on getting all mediums, so how many shallow supers do you think I'll need?
    I know when I get the bees if they feel crowded they'll swarm, so I'll need to be on my toes watching.
    I have 5 shallow supers do I need more or am I safe; also can I have honey with shallows and anything you can provide to me why shallows being positives will boost up my spirits, besides being lighter to lift.
    Thanks for your input

Default Re: Shallow Super

You are fine! Shallows are lighter and make life easier for the bees, less to guard, less to cool, less to ventilate, and less to cap before you take it from them!
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

You will be fine. You didnt say if you had bees, so considering you were painting your boxes, by the time you get bees, I doubt you will even fill more than one shallow this year. I use deep hive bodies with shallow supers, much lighter as you mentioned. Get your hive established, and once its booming you may decide you want to use mediums instead. A little unsolicited advice; two hives are better than one, if one is failing, you can almost always save it using brood from your good hive. With one hive, if it fails then it fails.
    It takes a family to raise a family, it takes a village to really screw that up... Djei5

Thank you, no bees yet, I should be getting them by the end of June. I'll be looking to do another hive next year, but for now I thought of getting one started just to get enough honey for my daughter for her allergies.
    Thanks to the both of you for your input, takes the stress off me "LOL"

I prefer all mediums for everything. Shallows will work fine, they just aren't interchangeable.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF