Default swarm capture issues

Yesterday-mid morning, I captured a large swarm in my yard that had landed 25' or so up in a douglas fir tree. I was able to get the bees by using a 5 gallon plastic water jug with a stick attached at the neck, and the bottom cut out. It worked beautifully. They bearded in 3 locations, but close to one another. So, after an hour or so, about 95% of the bees were in the nearby super with all frames installed.

This afternoon, I noticed a small beard of bees about the size of a small pine cone in the same location as yesterday. Is the queen still on the branch? Should I make an effort to get these too? Activity on the outside of the hive seems 'normal'

Thanks, Pete W.

Default Re: swarm capture issues

If the swarm is close to the hive, then it will not be necessary. Otherwise you might want to get them to increase their numbers. They may have been foraging or such and got left behind.

The queen smell will stay there for a little while and a few bees will go back to it.If 95% are in the hive you probably got the queen.If she was still on that limb most of the bees would of came back there to her.That small bunch will find their way to a hive in a day or two.

If the queen wasn't in the hive, most of the bees would have returned to the branch.
    Sounds like you probably got her.
    Dan