Default Captured a swarm and have a question

A co-worker had a swarm in her lilac bush she said showed up yesterday sometime. She really wanted it gone so I agreed to drive the 30 miles and see what I could do. All pretty standard except this swarm was easy to reach as it was only like 4 foot off the ground.

It broke apart as I was pruning it off and there was maybe a few hundred bees that got agitated and started flying. The reason it broke apart was this swarm had begun making comb and what I thought was one branch ended up being three they had burr combed together.

This is only about the fifth swarm I have captured but it is the first one I have ever noticed started actually building comb at the swarm point. Anyone else seen this before?

And does it foretell a problem with the swarm?

Just curious and thanks for any replies!!!

Default Re: Captured a swarm and have a question

No it happens all the time if they stay there any length of time. They can in fact build great big masses of comb but cant go thru the winter. As soon as you hive them you'll see them build new comb for your frames!

Thanks Enchplant!!!

I guess in my limited swarm captures they had never been around long enough to begin comb building at the swarm point. It was just something different.

I already got the swarm hived. In fact I put a hive together in the back of my truck, backed up to the swarm and just put it right in with a block for the entrance and just banded it up and drove it right to the apiary spot.

Thanks again for answering my question!!!

It really sounds like a go-getter of a hive. I'll bet you get production out the wazoo...LOL
    They do fast work.
    LtlWilli

I've seen them build comb on tree limbs and once on the fender of a car. Sounds like you have a lively swarm!
    It takes a family to raise a family, it takes a village to really screw that up... Djei5