Default What is Raw Bees Wax worth

Someone expressed an interest in buying all our beeswax from the honey spinning this morning. I'm thinking there is a lot of honey in that wax so perhaps I better ask if anyone has every sold it that way and what kind of price they got per pound or per gallon.

So does anyone have an idea of it's value? Might make dealing with it kind of nice.

Default Re: What is Raw Bees Wax worth

I am a black powder cartridge rifle shooter, and the shooters that make their own bullet lube pay from $4.50 to $5.00 per pound for bees wax cake. I think is very pure and well strained, but that is a starting point.

Yea.. I know the going rate for pure processed bees wax. But this stuff is the cappings... you know... honey ... bee parts.. all mixed in. It is a heck of a job making those bees wax bars and they deserve what they can get.

Quote Originally Posted by hpm08161947 View Post
    Yea.. I know the going rate for pure processed bees wax. But this stuff is the cappings... you know... honey ... bee parts.. all mixed in. It is a heck of a job making those bees wax bars and they deserve what they can get.
    I'd still ask 5 bucks a pound plus shipping, ,it won't go bad and there always be a use for it,candles ect. there may even be a shortage of it in a few yrs so if you don't need the money, save it.

I just bought 10 lbs cleaned processed beeswax for $6.00 lb including shipping on EBAY. Calculate what the boiling/processing is worth. I'm guessing an unprocessed price of $4.00-4.50 would be reasonable.

I hived three hives of package bees from Rweaver this past April 8. That was my first time to ever handle bees, so I don't "come here from sic'em" about bees or bees wax. I was just commenting on one market's price.

I paid $5 a pound for melted bars from a beekeeper last year. It was a 25# minimum, & shipping was included.
    5$ is a good starting point, unless you're selling to one of the big wax resellers.
    Dan

Fresh uncleaned cappings sell for $3.00 a lb. in our area, that's also legs, pieces & parts !

PCM

Quote Originally Posted by PCM View Post
    Fresh uncleaned cappings sell for $3.00 a lb. in our area, that's also legs, pieces & parts !

PCM
    Now that is what I was looking for. Hard to believe they are worth that much.

I have washed the honey out of cappings and used the resulting honey water to make mead.
    you recover almost all of the honey and are left with all the wax.

I find this sort of fascinating

I have some bees wax.

It was bee comb before there was any brood or such in it.

It is perfectly clean no legs no bee parts there might be a hint of honey in it though

What would perfectly clean wax go for a pound?

Don't give it away, you could melt it down and sell it for at least $5.00 per lb. You should drain all the honey out before you melt the cappings. Always melt wax cappings outside and melt it with water or in a double boiler setup.

I put all the wax out on the back of my PU on old cookie trays for a couple days and the bees clean it up good, then i melt it in a solar melter and it gets strained thru a few layers of cheese cloth, ready to make candles or use in the black powder grease.

Quote Originally Posted by Hevyduty View Post
    I have washed the honey out of cappings and used the resulting honey water to make mead.
    you recover almost all of the honey and are left with all the wax.
    I soak/wash cappings using minimal water, then take high concentrated syrup and add that to make feed for bees.

Smile Re: What is Raw Bees Wax worth

$5 seems about right, check out local retainers. A couple of bucks less raw. I use a solar melter, but any other method to melt works. Sometimes I let the bees glean what they can. I fit my solor melter with 3 screen, each with a smallar mesh. when all melted into a pan. you will get honey on the bottom, some junk and then a cap of wax. When cool I take off the wax and let the bees clean off the honey, scrape off the junk and remelt. The second melt setup: small mesh screen, drip into a stainless pet bowl with several 1/8" drilled holes that sits over my catch mold. I use an old meat loaf pan. (spray with a release) The trick for very clen wax is line the bowl with a "Bounty" towel. The wax is very clean and the sun does some bleaching.

Smile Re: What is Raw Bees Wax worth

$5 seems about right, check out local retainers. A couple of bucks less raw. I use a solar melter, but any other method to melt works. Sometimes I let the bees glean what they can. I fit my solar melter with 3 screen, each with a smallar mesh. when all melted into a pan. you will get honey on the bottom, some junk and then a cap of wax. When cool I take off the wax and let the bees clean off the honey, scrape off the junk and remelt. The second melt setup: small mesh screen, drip into a stainless pet bowl with several 1/8" drilled holes that sits over my catch mold. I use an old meat loaf pan. (spray with a release) The trick for very clen wax is line the bowl with a "Bounty" towel. The wax is very clean and the sun does some bleaching.