Default Is there a trick to this extractor?

I want to take apart this galvanized extractor to clean and epoxy ester coat it, but the cage will not come out of the drum. There is a pin riveted to the bottom of the cage that fits into a receiver that is riveted to the bottom of the drum. Is there a trick to getting this apart?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Is there a trick to this extractor?

I am unable to see or open the pictures. If its riveted, drill it out.
    Perhaps you can email me a picture, and I can see if we can figure this out.
    www.maxantindustries.com
    American made Honey Processing Equipment "Built to last a lifetime"

The "receiver" probably contains a bearing and the shaft on the cage just slides down into the bearing. Probably corrosion "welded" from age. Squirt some penetrating oil in there and let it work for a couple hours then try to pull the cage out. If that fails apply some heat to the shaft with a propane torch and pull.

Hi sevenmmm, it looks as if the "pin" that you refer to is a square drive set screw. I would try to find out what size the set screw head is and find the right square drive socket and try to loosen it. I am not quite sure how the assembly works but it might be a sleeve that can be replaced. In any case, if you can get that parte loose then the basket might come out and you can make further decisions. Just my two cents worth..Take care and have fun

Thanks Alex. It has been soaked with penetrating oil and still no give whatsoever. Then I am going to find out if there is an extension capable of that long reach. My last choice is to pop the rivets as MAXANT has advised.

I may not even use this one, but I still want to figure out how to take it apart and clean it up for some one else to use.

You probably line the set screw up with the drain opening undo screw and wallah !!!!
    Honeydew

It looks like the one I bought, except mine is stainless steel. can you rotate the basket with the handle. if you can, you will be able to pull the basket out, if is stuck put some hot water to loosen up the dried up honey that got inside the bottom hub.
    This is the bottom of the basket

http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/...s/DSC01395.jpg

Aha!

Thanks for the pic! I will try some "solar" heated water.:-)