Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: MAQS Checkbacks

Default MAQS Checkbacks

Well I ran out and treated app 500 colonies when the MAQS became available this Spring. Temperatures were well within the parameters for effect. Three weeks after application I am seeing much broodlessness and apparent queenlessness. However this Spring has seen a great build up in almonds followed by heavy swarming followed by cold ( for Calif. ) temps which have very effectively shut down nectar flows, so I am not sure of what I am seeing, for example swarm queens that have not begun to lay. But I am seeing a big break in brood rearing.

Would any one care to share their experiences regarding MAQS and loss of queens?

Default Re: MAQS Checkbacks

Tom, I only treated 40 hives with the MAQS strips. Out of the 40, I have had to requeen 28 of them because of lost queens. Also, I could not believe the dead bees in front of the hives. The temperature on application day and after averaged 82 degrees so I don't think temps were the problem. I applied the strips in early May and am just now seeing the remaining 12 hives starting to brood up again. I hope others are having better results than I did but I am pretty sure I won't be using those strips again. Losing good queens is a poor trade off for mite control.

From what I have seen so far those are the same results I am getting. Thanks for the reply swamper.

Anyone have any good news?? I'm getting bummed.

Hey Tom and Swamp,
    Thanks for posting, hopefully we get some more postings from others who've used this product. I get asked alot about what to do for mites and was hopeful that MAQS would be a good product. So far from what you are saying, my hopes are dashed.
    “When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.” – John Muir

I treated 12 hives in early April, lost 5 queens. That's a 42% loss rate! I lost no queens in the untreated hives.

I found something interesting:

From http://www.pacificcrestapiaries.com/id56.html

We applied MAQS on our colonies the last day in March of 2011. We were most likely one of the first apiaries to receive our order in California. We used it as directed, according to the label instructions. Unfortunately, we did have problems associated with its use. Proper ventilation is key, of course. However, what is not told is that the beekeeper must slide the top box directly over the queen excluder on top of the brood box, back about an inch to 1-1/2" to allow for more ventilation. This is not on the label and has just been discovered by those of us who have used it for the first time here in our area. Some beekeepers have experienced the same problem we have, however, I cannot be sure of the number who have experienced this problem with brood decline, quite a lot of brood death, queen loss, and supercedure. We did not lose any colonies to complete death, however, we experienced many with a loss of the queen.

Hey Tom we saw a whole cycle of brood kill. Check out my posts from 5/11/11.

http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...788#post656788
    Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne

Thanks for posting this. I haven't treated with these yet but planned to this fall.

Of those that had queen and brood loss did you use one strip or two? The directions say to use two but I've heard of people only using one.

I applied the product as directed by label and video, two strips, did not slide the upper box back as that was not instructed. I do however have two 3/4" vent holes in each hive body, that is four in a two story.

Dave I saw your post but thought maybe the brood mortality was from fungicides as you were also commenting on that in a different thread. I should have listened a little better.

I applied MAQS to twenty hives in early May. Temperatures were between 70 and 90 degrees. Did not lose any queens or notice any brood mortality. In fact all hives have built up nicely despite the lousy weather we have had. A week after application cold and rain with daytime highs in the 40’s. Apple and Blueberries are a bust because of poor pollination. This week Black Locus is blooming and all hives are busy.
    The Busy Bee teaches two lessons: One is not to be idle and the other is not to get stung.

To those who have lost bees and queens from the MAQS, were the queens older than a year. I ask because the formic flash treatments are hard on hives with older queens.

Mine are all one year or less.

Makes me wonder about the effects of humidity on vaporization.

I'm on day 6 of treatment of three hives. It may be too early to tell, but at the entrance I see NO dead bees and NO brood being removed from the hive. I will check into the hives tommorow for further observations. The first few days, I saw decreased in/out activity at the entrance, with a little more than usual bearding in the evenings on only one hive. Today, I have seen more in/out activity from all the hives than I have ever seen since I started the hives last year, so they are probally working a good flow (finally). And NO, they aren't swarming... When I treated, I averaged an overnight drop of 5,760 mite on one hive, 4,800 on the second, and 4,160 on the other. Of course, these are overnight drops and don't reflect the counts after a brood cycle which is what I am really counting on for results. I'll keep you guys posted. I'm HOPING for a good outcome.

Later, John

I did find one queen missing in a recently treated colony. 3/4" entrance on this hive. All the rest have 3/8" entrances and this was a virgin queen the only virgin treated in this yard. They may have absconded as most bee's are gone also. No dead though. 1 of 16 but the 3/4" entrance versus 3/8" has me scratching my head as I've had no issues with the 3/8" colonies including some that had virgin's in them. is it possible with the 3/8" entrance they can move air through better than with the 3/4"?

Seems funny 28 treated with 3/8" entrance, No trouble. 1 treated with 3/4 entrance queen MIA. No upper ventilation in any colonies other than a small upper entrance in the inner cover in most.

Both 2010 and 2011 queens.

Copy and pasted from my other thread....

I checked all my hives today including the three I treated. I am VERY happy!!!! ALL hives have a vigorously laying queen in them. They all have eggs and brood of all ages. I even saw a few new bees emerging. There were no dead bees or dead brood anywhere in the hives or on the SBB. I did a complete inspection and everything looked good. Not even queen cells. At this point, I can say there has been no negative effects on the treated hives that I am aware of. I marked my calendar and will do another drop in 21 days.

Later, John

Forgot to mention, these queens are four months, three months, and three weeks in these three hives.

Sounds good, John. How many colonies total?

I'm just a hobbyist now with a total of six hives. Three were treated.

Later, John

how many boxes on the hives and if you have screened bottom boards would mayby help to figure out a configuration that works. randy oliver in his test used screened bottom boards and the temp range the first few days was on the low end of the recommended range.
    mike syracuse ny
    I went to bed mean, and woke up meaner. Marshal Dillon

All hives have SBB. All hives have two deep brood chambers with ten frames each.

The largest two hives have 3/8" entrances fully opened with the telescoping cover proped up a little with a stick. These hives also have one medium super each with a queen exluder.

The smaller hive has a 3/4" entrance fully opened with a migratory cover NOT proped open. This hive has no other supers.

The temps during treatment were in the mid to upper 80's the first three days and then lower 90's for the rest of the week with had me worried because this was outside the treatment parameters (50-90). However, the treatment was only suppose to be active for the first three days, so i guess i was OK...or lucky.

Later, John

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast