Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Deep fried Bees?

51K views 28 replies 21 participants last post by  clangs92 
#1 ·
I just came back from Oaxaca Mexico, Deep South of Mexico.
I tried the grasshoppers as well as crickets and other insects; they are supreme!

As I was eating insects, I just wonder if anyone has eaten bees, larva or pupa. If so, can you tell me what they taste like?

Aurelio Paez
DBA Micha Bees

#9 ·
I have eaten bees and larvae in various dishes and enjoyed them a lot. I always thought it was funny when people show revulsion when I tell them about the insects I have eaten. Most of them would break down the door to get to my shrimp that I cook. Seems like a shrimp is a lot more like a bug than a cow:)

#11 ·
Most of them would break down the door to get to my shrimp that I cook. Seems like a shrimp is a lot more like a bug than a cow:)
I love cockroach of the seas (shrimp).

How would you easily harvest some drone brood to eat? Seems like a lot of work to go for to get a little brood and a bunch of wax. I've always tossed my scrapings of the bottom of frames with squished brood to my chickens. They love them!

#17 ·
I tried once drone brood frayed with onions,they were delicious.
If you wand to try the dish
First you have to put the comb in dip freeze for few hours
Second to crash it over a bowl full of cold water,
Third you collect the brood from the bottom of the vessel free of wax.
Be careful do not over cook them.

#20 ·
How much work does this represent, to gather how large a portion?

I've always been curious about this, if not for myself then for adventurous clients. However, collecting brood looks like so much trouble... and such a heavy drain on a colony. To be profitable, I only have to assume that the clients would need to spit out a ton of $$$ for a serving.

#23 ·
A couple of weeks ago I cut out some comb to rubber band into frames. I had a piece of capped brood comb the size of my palm that was too curved to fit into a frame well. I crushed it in my hand and drank the "milk" that came out of it. It actually tasted really good. Like almond milk.

#27 ·
I crushed the comb in my hand and drank the "milk" that came out of it.
ERRRRK! Gag reflex!
While I understand that insects have as much or more protein/vitamins than actual meat and with my culinary skills added with onions, garlic and some veggies would make an awsome stir-fry........The Missus wont let me do it. Thats my story and not budggin!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.