Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Deep fried Bees?

I've seen bees in Chinese shows being cooked -- stir-fried, I think. No idea what they're saying, but the bees are big. Maybe they're using drones.

Quote Originally Posted by Dominic View Post
    How much work does this represent, to gather how large a portion?

I've always been curious about this, if not for myself then for adventurous clients. However, collecting brood looks like so much trouble... and such a heavy drain on a colony. To be profitable, I only have to assume that the clients would need to spit out a ton of $$$ for a serving.
    What if you used adult bees and put some sort of "drone separator" in the hive? Let them do the work of separating themselves.

A couple of weeks ago I cut out some comb to rubber band into frames. I had a piece of capped brood comb the size of my palm that was too curved to fit into a frame well. I crushed it in my hand and drank the "milk" that came out of it. It actually tasted really good. Like almond milk.

Yeah, and apparently they are pretty common in other cultures. (I am from the US) I have heard Germany often has bees in their delis!

Quote Originally Posted by Rohe Bee Ranch View Post
    I bet they taste better than the grubs we had to eat in Army survival training...LOL.
    we used to have a guy on a brush clearing crew that would toss his slickmeat sandwich and snack on grubs the size of your thumb for lunch whenever he found them in old rotten trees. he would pinch the head off so they wouldn't bite him back.

Quote Originally Posted by Harley Craig View Post
    we used to have a guy on a brush clearing crew that would toss his slickmeat sandwich and snack on grubs the size of your thumb for lunch whenever he found them in old rotten trees. he would pinch the head off so they wouldn't bite him back.
    That might be the weirdest/grossest thing I have heard all day. Hahah

Quote Originally Posted by datsdajoke View Post
    I crushed the comb in my hand and drank the "milk" that came out of it.
    ERRRRK! Gag reflex!
    While I understand that insects have as much or more protein/vitamins than actual meat and with my culinary skills added with onions, garlic and some veggies would make an awsome stir-fry........The Missus wont let me do it. Thats my story and not budggin!

Quote Originally Posted by clangs92 View Post
    That might be the weirdest/grossest thing I have heard all day. Hahah
    Ha Ha we thought so too, he also used to lick dip out of his can with his tongue instead of pinching out a dip, he said he did that so nobody asked to bum a dip and we were all thinking we wouldn't do that anyways you nasty ***** LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Harley Craig View Post
    Ha Ha we thought so too, he also used to lick dip out of his can with his tongue instead of pinching out a dip, he said he did that so nobody asked to bum a dip and we were all thinking we wouldn't do that anyways you nasty ***** LOL
    LMAO I am so glad I have never known such a human/creature. I am not sure how I would handle it. Hahah

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12