Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Making your own wooden ware and extractors!

As we used to say when I was a rough carpenter, "we ain't building pianos."
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I build stuff in groups of four to cut down on blade changes. I've found it cheaper and a lot easier to buy boxes. If I could locate nearly free lumber for boxes I might consider it more. Telescoping covers I build and found a local club member who sell the metal for $5 already bent. Screen bottom boards, inner covers, entrance reducers I also build. Includes nucs and 10 frame stuff.

I generally don't take on the task of building anything that I only need one of, however, I'm very much considering building a solar wax melter and taking a brood box and making it into 3 - three frame "queen castle".

Oh, I did also build two four caster carts that I stack supers, or whatever, on to move them around easier. I built the side a couple inches tall so when I put supers of honey on them it keeps them from dripping on the floor.

The value of painters latex caulk cannot be overrated for those missed cuts prior to painting!

Something to do in the winter when I can't play with the bees.
    Try living life with the attitude it's not about what you want to do but what you should do!

>Another question, would it be a bad thing to make hive bodies out of redwood? Just curious!!

I have 50 year plus old supers made of redwood. I have also recently made tops and bottoms out of old surfaced redwood fence lumber. You will have a hard time finding or need a big wallet to buy surfaced redwood for boxes.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    As we used to say when I was a rough carpenter, "we ain't building pianos."

Nice!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12