Default New to beekeeping in Southern Michigan (Jackson area)

After 2 years of disappointing garden yields, a neighbor who burned down a "bee tree", and not seeing a single bee in our yard (which is mostly clover and thistle with raspberry bushes here and there), I decided to learn everything I could about pollinators -namely honeybees. I took a class at my local ecology farm, attended a hive build session, and now have a colony of bees in my backyard that I look after. This has become an addiction and passion. I have the best mentors, they share a lot of the same outlook that I have. I've got a lot to learn, but have found that most experienced beekeepers are more than willing to "train" us newbees!

I started a blog to keep track of my hive and post pictures.

http://api-journal.blogspot.com/

-heatherbee

Default Re: New to beekeeping in Southern Michigan (Jackson area)

Welcome!
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

Welcome from the west coast.
    Dan

Welcome heather bee, our bees could almost meet in the field. Well not quite but your pretty close. Our weather has been a challenge so far this spring for sure. They will be catching up some this weekClover starting to bloom here and alfalfa is getting real close. Start a second hive as soon as you can then you will learn twice as fast

LOL, right, not quite...but relatively close! I am seriously considering a second hive, good point on the learning twice as fast! I did notice a few clover blossoms yesterday and the raspberries are budding, also it looks like the thistle is getting ready - will be a nice change from dandelion for them.