Hybrid View

Question I have stupid question :D

Hi i am sorry i know this is a stupid question but what is a mite?

I would like to research this subject due to my bee's might possibly have them.

I have a hive that has one or two bee's that i notice have chewed up wings on a frame.

I asked someone and they said they were probably mites.

I just have a few bees that have this issue.

What is the threat level on these?

Can i see what they look like so i can identify them?

Thanks for all of the replies i feel that i will get a lot.

P.s. why do they say not to use store bought powdered sugar?

Default Re: I have stupid question :D

Mites are a huge problem for hives, and left unchecked could eventually kill off your hive. Chewed up wings? Worn out foragers will have tattered wings. Deformed wing virus is related to the presence of mites and wings will appear, well, deformed. Perhaps look online for photos of deformed wing virus (DWV.)

Also look online for photos of Varroa Mites so you can identify them, Don't rely on visual examination to determine your mite load. They are sometimes hard to see without looking closely, but you can do simple tests, even simply plucking drone brood out of capped cells and any mites will be impossible to miss. (Red dot on pure white.) The more accurate counts come from taking a quantity of bees from from the brood frame (making absolutely sure you do not have the queen) and drowning them in alcohol or washer fluid or killing them with ether. Some folks do a powdered sugar roll in which the bees are not killed, but I've heard often that the count is not as accurate as an alcohol or other wash.

I often hear that "they say not to use store bought powdered sugar" but powdered sugar is one of my main tools in keeping mite levels low. Powdered sugar has corn starch in it and, as such, is not a good substitute for granulated sugar in feeding. However, in dusting as a mite control, the bees are more intent on cleaning themselves off and getting it out of the hive than in eating large quantities of it and coming down with dysentary or whatever ailment "they" are warning about. I use it and take what "they" say with a grain of salt. It works and I use it.

Wayne

http://entnemdept.ufl.edu/creatures/...arroa_mite.htm

It's a lot of reading... But as it's been said, "Know thy enemy."

Later, John

Questions are never stupid, because they come from realizing (and admitting) that you don't know something, but want to.

There are tons of stupid answers though...

Adam

Thanks for replies. i got another question how do you use the powdered sugar method?

Do you just open up the hive and sprinkle some on or do you have to do something else

how much powdered sugar do you use?

Sorry for the stupid question's but i have never had to deal with mite's "If that is what it is"

i will pull some drones and see what comes up.

how do you use the powdered sugar method?
    I was taught to put a cup of powdered sugar on top of the frames every three weeks. Use a bee brush or whatever to get it to fall down between the frames. You need to use a screen bottom board for this to work. The bees get dusted with powdered sugar and clean each other (and themselves?) off. This dislodges the varroa and they fall out of the hive. You only knock down a small-ish percentage every time you do this, that why it needs to be done so frequently.

caveat- This is my first year. I've only done this once and it was by the book. If I'm wrong, someone please correct me!!!

Hey BB where you located in Springfield, in or out of the city?
    Rick