Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

What is it.

3K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  Joseph Clemens 
#1 ·
The swarm I removed from the tree I checked it today and while filling the empty spaces I found this. Little worms? I do not belive there bees thay look to small.

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
Concrete-bees is right that a strong hive will take care of these themselves. If you have a weak hive though, it takes time to build them up. In the meantime you can get the same effect by reducing the hive to only so many boxes as the bees can completely cover. That could even mean moving them to a nuc. You will need to do this quick because moth larvae can destroy a hive fast.

If you take any boxes off you need to freeze them before putting them back on. Freezing for 24 hours will kill the larvae. See the link below for freezing directions (time and temp). You can put the supers back on a strong hive and they will clean up the damage pretty quickly though if they're in honey, I wouldn't eat it.

I got a lot of information from this blog when I had the problem last year. The main thing is you have to act quick. Good luck.

http://basicbeekeeping.blogspot.com/2007/09/what-are-wax-moths-why-do-they-bother.html

#7 ·
#8 ·
I was in one of my hives today and saw a bee with one of those in her grasps. She was running all over frantically, I guess trying to decide what to do with it. It wasn't long before a few other bees around her surrounded her and seem to be cheering her on! Kind of intereseting to watch. The next time I'm in there I'll have to take a closer look. I was a little rushed today.

Later, John

#9 ·
Advice on wax worms is of little value. Indications that reflect beetle larvae:
...Sharp ridges down the sides - seen in the blow-up.
...No webbing
...Larvae outside the comb surface, not being attacked by bees - they spread a repellent wherever they go (slime). Bees avoid that comb.

You can salvage the bees by shaking them off onto new foundation, but that comb will not be used without cleanup. Sorry for the bad news.
Walt

#10 ·
As I look closer at the pictures, I am really leaning towards small hive beetle larvae. It appears there is already a little sliming of the frame. Take that frame out PRONTO and freeze it overnight. I had to do this with a nuc last summer. There SHB larve in two frames. Froze one a night for 2 nights in a row. Got rid of them and saved the nuc.
I'd almost bet the house they are shb larvae....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.