Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Raising chicks

Default Re: Raising chicks

I used to sell a lots of hatching eggs but that several years ago and I didnt know that hatching eggs were as high as they are now!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by snapper1d View Post
    I used to sell a lots of hatching eggs but that several years ago and I didnt know that hatching eggs were as high as they are now!!!!
    Yea, I think the demand for purebreds has shot through the roof, along with prices.

I don't think they are pure. But they are fun. Chicks arrived today and in GREAT shape. In the coop I have a sick Australorp. Tail is drooping and she just sits there. I thought I heard her cough once. She does eat a little and drink but she's listless. Time to research meds. The younger Sussex and the chicks aren't anywhere near her.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenseye View Post
    I don't think they are pure. But they are fun. Chicks arrived today and in GREAT shape. In the coop I have a sick Australorp. Tail is drooping and she just sits there. I thought I heard her cough once. She does eat a little and drink but she's listless. Time to research meds. The younger Sussex and the chicks aren't anywhere near her.
    I'd suggest looking at dosage amounts and local availability for Tylan, it is often used to treat respiratory infections in poultry.

Thanks. Tylan was my first choice too. Called Agway and they're out of it for a week or so. Called my vet down the street ( we have six dogs) and he's leaving some outside the front door for me so I can pick it up after I do the chores. Tornado's today so we're kind of nervous about going too far.

So, Raveneye, you're going to have a couple of laying workers!

Ha ha! And, they freeload for a while!

chicks.jpg

The thing I like about having chickens is that drone brood is not ever wasted. It's like trading something that won't ever make honey for eggs.
    http://www.voiceofthehive.com - Tales of Beekeeping and Honeybees

Aww, they are so adorable! Too bad they don't stay tiny fluffballs, though their awkward teenage phase is pretty hilarious when they attempt flying lessons

Stacykins,
    I might know someone who would like Araucanas. Are you going to breed purebred Araucanas eventually?

Quote Originally Posted by Bee Bliss View Post
    Stacykins,
    I might know someone who would like Araucanas. Are you going to breed purebred Araucanas eventually?
    I hope to. Until I can build an araucana only coop, the only roosters I am going to keep are araucanas. I have no other blue egg layers, so all the blue eggs I collect will be araucanas. That is if I get quality birds from these hatching eggs. Show quality parents only increase the odds of getting SOP stock, but don't guarantee. Until I see them as adults, I don't know what I'll have to work on to improve them, so likely won't sell for a while.

I shouldn't count my eggs before they hatch, but 28/30 had development when I candled last night

Since this came up earlier, I found a source for un-treated chick starter. Here's the link:

http://www.mypetchicken.com/catalog/...rter-p770.aspx

Sadly, one of the chicks didn't make it. She seemed fine last night but was laying down this morning. She had taken water and eaten but didn't make it through the afternoon. The others seem just fine!

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenseye View Post
    Sadly, one of the chicks didn't make it. She seemed fine last night but was laying down this morning. She had taken water and eaten but didn't make it through the afternoon. The others seem just fine!
    Are the other chicks doing OK? Sometimes less robust chicks hatch, but then don't thrive.

The other chicks are fine. Bouncing around, laying around, jumping up on the perch I made and generally making a mess of things! I think the one that died was just weak. So far so good on the rest!

dr.buzz Guest

I always lose a few, that's why I hatch my chicks and ducks 3-4 dozen at a time. Also I'll reiterate what someone mentioned earlier, the water bottles for hamsters are wonderful for chickens much less mess, and I use leaves in my brooder, or lawn cuttings it smells nice and the chicks love it.

Everybody has favorite methods of raising poultry.

I raise them on newspaper sheets first 2 weeks, changing sheets every day, then on wire that way it is clean and sanitary no cocci outbursts. Almost never lose any.

Most early loses come from overheating, overcrowding and dirty bedding.

I use various size lightbulbs in my brooder from 250W infrared (outdors Florida winter) to 40W or even 25 W indoors depending on time of year and number of birds.

250W 150W 100W bulbs are always run through dim switch to regulate (lower) output, safety and power savings.

My way of raising birds comes as result of over 10 years of trial and error and I am pleased with it every time I brood any kind of domestic poultry or game birds.

Quote Originally Posted by pascopol View Post
    Everybody has favorite methods of raising poultry.

I raise them on newspaper sheets first 2 weeks, changing sheets every day, then on wire that way it is clean and sanitary no cocci outbursts. Almost never lose any.

Most early loses come from overheating, overcrowding and dirty bedding.

I use various size lightbulbs in my brooder from 250W infrared (outdors Florida winter) to 40W or even 25 W indoors depending on time of year and number of birds.

250W 150W 100W bulbs are always run through dim switch to regulate (lower) output, safety and power savings.

My way of raising birds comes as result of over 10 years of trial and error and I am pleased with it every time I brood any kind of domestic poultry or game birds.
    The best method is definitely the one that works for the person who uses it! A lot of differences out there, with different pros and cons! Though for all of them, cleanliness is definitely a must! Chicks poop and they do so a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by Stacykins View Post
    Chicks poop and they do so a lot!
    If you think chicks poop a lot try quail, or even better DUCKS !

LOL

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12