Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Honey Bound what to do

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  beegeek 
#1 ·
I am trying to requeen. I went to release the and found a superseding cell and a few eggs so I guess I missed one queen cell when I installed the caged queen.I could not find a queen currently in have so I knocked down the superseding and exsposed the candy on the cage. I think my main problem is that I am really close to being honey bound.so my question is how to get them unhoney bound. I do not have any emepty drawn comb I can put in the hive.I did pull some fames out and put in new foundation that they are pulling out.any advice welcome

thanks steve

#2 · (Edited)
Hard to open up the brood area with no drawn comb but that is the best I can say to do to break up the honey bound.

Other points to consider:

They will sometimes build queen cells while the new queen is still caged, breaking them down later after you release her. While caged she is not running around laying eggs and spreading her smell around the hive so they think they need to replace her.

Also, on frames with new drawn comb they sometimes fill them, as well as used cells, with nector as apparently part of cleaning the cells. They move the nector and prep. the cell for eggs. So if you have nector in a large area in the center of the frame (where brood goes) you might be surprised to find they cleaned in out in a week and it is now open for brood.

What I normally see in the observation hive is fresh nector in new comb, all over the foundation. Gradually I start seeing them cap it at the top along the edges and bringing pollen in below that while at the same time removing nector, or using it, as they open up the brood area. The new frame of comb is becoming a brood frame. Then the queen moves up and all is well.

Did ya add a honey super?

Good luck.

#6 ·
I am puzzled I stared this requeening almost two weeks ago due to tornado and a the delivery of my new baby girl I have not been in the hive.so the caged queen has been in there awhile she looks cared for and thriving. So after not finding any sign of a queen except for the super cell and very few eggs .i knew i would not be able to come back for another two weeks i decided to exspose candy and let the bees work it oit on thier own Hard to belive things in the hive went down hill so fast.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.