Default Multipule eggs in one cell from new queen

I have a small split that I just put a new queen in. This is a very small group of bees maybe baseball size. I bought the queen from a reputable breeder in CA. She has brood on two frames in various stages of development. I have had her about 3 weeks, but on a third frame she has begun laying multipule eggs in one cell. I would say that most cells on this frame have multipule eggs in it. This is also the frame that I found the queen hanging out on.

The hive is full of drawn comb, lots of room.

What is going on. Do I have a laying worker in with my new queen? Or is my new queen laying single eggs in some cells and multipule in others? And why. What do I do?

Default Re: Multipule eggs in one cell from new queen

It could happen when a young queen wants to lay like crazy, & there aren't drawn combs for her to lay in.
    If she's on foundation just keep an eye on her, she might be fine.
    Dan

I had the same thing happen in an overwintered nuc. The population of bees was very small. I added a frame of sealed brood and nurse bees covering it, sprayed with a "minty" syrup to add confusion. That queen has stopped doing multiples and is laying my most solid brood pattern.

New queens sometimes take a little bit to get in gear; it's not unusual and typically not a problem. Give her a couple weeks.
    Bees, brews and fun
    in Lyons, CO

Do I read your post correctly, you have an adult population equal to a baseball sized cluster? If this is correct the primary concern should be adding emerging brood and nurse bees as Adrian Quiney stated he did.

Yes the total population of adult bees is about the size of a baseball. I will add some sealed brood from another hive.

I wondered if because there was not enough adult bees to cover anymore brood if that is why the queen is doubling up on the cells. Will these eggs hatch that have more than one egg per cell?

Thanks a bunch for those of you who have responded, it sure is nice to have people out there that I can ask questions to.

There will only be one bee emerging from one cell. The good thing about adding a frame of sealed brood, with nurse bees covering it, is it is a big boost to the hives population. As I remember from Larry Connors' book "Increase essentials" he calculates a brood frame with brood covering 70% of it holds 4500 bees. That's close to half of a 3lb package. If your split doesn't have pollen in it already consider adding a pollen patty as according to the experts nurse bees need to be fed quality pollen early in their emerged states in order to develop the brood food glands to feed the developing larva they will support.