Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Any hunters/fisherman in here!

I have been hunting and fishing all my life.I have pics of a fishing pole in the corner of the living room that my dad bought for me the day I was born.He dis the same thing when my two brothers were born.They stayed in the corner till we were big enough to hold a pole.During the summer months we went fishing every weekend.On friday afternoons when we got out of grade school we would crank up the lawn mower and start mowing.Crickets would go to jumping.One would mow and the other two would catch crickets.My dad carried up hunting when were big enough to follow along also.I never duck hunted though.Just never cared for duck so just didnt do it.Had a guy that worked with me that was an avid duck hunter and one time he was talking about cooking duck and was getting kind of excited talking about it.I jumped in and said Yea,I love ducks and I have found the best way to fix them too.I said,I take them and cut the bills off of them the first thing!!! He looked at me kind of funny.Then I said Yea you cut the bills off and put peanut butter in between them and you have peanut butter and quackers!!!! It ticked him off real good but we all had a real good laugh about it!!!!

Oh yea I forgot to add that we grew up FREE!!! The woods,lakes and the ole Quachita River here in south Arkansas was wide open to hunt,camp and fish anywhere you wanted.We would just go out in the wood or down on the lake,river or creek and camp out.Well sad to say that those days are over here.Leasing of all the lands for hunting has put a stop to all of that.Even now if you are caught on someones land even if it is not leased you can get a citation!!! Our freedoms are gone now!!!!

Avid hunter and fisherman here! Waterfowl has to top the list for me love to see the feet of approaching mallards, giant canadians in my face excited just typing this!!! kinda have a different view on the land access issue. I have the same issues as most have already spoken of ,but feel fortunate to have the access that i do have, mostly public some private (that i work hard every year to get, by knocking on alot of doors and doing alot of homework.) Maybe it is beacause it has always been that way for me or I can forsee what it probably be like in the future. I feel like there is still plenty of land to hunt for now. who i AM REALLY WORRIED ABOUT IS MY CHILDREN. I hope they will have the same oppurtunities I did/do. for now they are enjoying the good ole days as they know it... pulled a catfish in my new canoe the other day that was as big as my daughter next to me it flopped and jumped right back in the water before i could get my hands on it, but I bet they wont forget that.

There was a guy here that was one of the extremely rich that owner a rail road and has thousands of acres of timber lands and owns a big stake in Deltic Farm and Timber which was part of Murphy Oil Corp was talking with us back in the late 80's.He said he and all the big timber companies had the intentions of making hunting leases a big income.He said they had plans to lease all their lands and then start going up constantly till only doctors and lawyers and other rich people were the only ones who could afford to hunt.The man is dead and gone now but his and the large timber companies out look is coming true!!!!

Hunting, fishing and trapping for over 40 years now. Also a Master Hunter Ed instructor in MA. Don't get out as much as I used to but truly enjoy the outdoors. To me, nature has a way of humbling you.....making you feel small without feeling insignificant. Getting outside and seeing the real world is, for me, like going to church. It awes you in a unique way and I've always felt that you needn't be religious to be reverent.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

Quote Originally Posted by snapper1d View Post
    .He said he and all the big timber companies had the intentions of making hunting leases a big income.He said they had plans to lease all their lands and then start going up constantly till only doctors and lawyers and other rich people were the only ones who could afford to hunt.
    Within 5 miles of the house I have seen 3 purchases of small units of land (200 acres) which are being flooded (at least trying to be). I will betcha these are all going to be private duck/geese hunting preserves.... 20 miles away from here we keep a yard of bees close to a huge duck preserve.... never flooded till the past few years, understand it is over 2000 acres and is only for high end guests of the landowner (who does not even live in his state). Hunting/Fishing is about to become to sport of kings.

I sure feel for you guys about fees and places to hunt ..it happened to me . 12 yrs ago i lost my deer spot to a hunt club ..I got so mad i started hunting ducks..no one owns the water . One day comming back from a hunt i saw a house for sale and stopped to ask about it ,,and the old guy cutting his yard sold me his house instead . I got really lucky . I dive 100yrds to put in my boat to hunt the refuge . The season pass is 14$ . If i dont get a good draw i can take my other boat and hit the bay . My house turns into a camp during duck season . Everybody is welcome here . They laughed at me when i bought the duck naked duck picker ....now everyone stops in to use it . Behind the house 12- 15k ducks are taken every season ..i try to do my share ...lol ..The weather finall turned so i'll start fishing this week ...good luck .

I leased land this year. Many people thought I was crazy for spending so much. It was less than $25.00 per day that I hunted. I had year round acsess safe for the kids none of the crazy public land rules and lots of game. A small price to pay for acsess to millions of dollars of land. A great value! Public land is a pain, DE officers checking you twice a day people driving all over, drinking and most is poorly managed or draw only with just a week to hunt.
    Why would anyone let people hunt there land for free when you can charge and get responsible good stewards on your property?

The best place I have ever been to and lived in for hunting and fishing was in Alaska. It was very different feeling to have when you were sometimes being hunted while hunting. It made it even more exciting.
    Rohe Bee Ranch "Free Range Bees"
    http://www.rohebeeranch.com

As belliot said access is becoming an issue here in NW Arkansas. Most all of the places I used to hunt are now covered with houses and businesses. I'm fortunate enough to live out in the country where, at least for the foreseeable future, it's likely there won't be any "progress" .

If I want to see deer all I have to do is sit out on the back porch and watch them come across the pasture to the orchard. This year we've seen a couple jakes and a hen or two wandering around. Grandkids love it, they come out to mess with the bees and see the critters...

Now, if I can just keep the 'coons and skunks from coming up on the porch and messing with the cats.........

I have disabled status here in washington and my fee for tags and license is $42.00 the tags are deer elk bear and cougar.
    i ihave hunted all my life but only with a bow used to live in sacramento and have hunted all over california for deer , turkeys and pigs
    I also fish up here in washington I fish for salmon steelhead trout walleye crappie sturgeon ,bass small and large mouth perch catfish
    and all sorts of salt water fish . I beleive washington is the best all around where else can you hunt whitetail, muledeer , and blacktails
    elk bears cougars all in the same day with a little driving yeah washington is great.

I have been a life long hunter and fisherman. Although for the last three years I have not done any. Our game herds in Idaho have pretty much been decimated and the escalating costs are absurd. Only a state game agency can see the logic in paying more for less.

Hunting will sadly be gone in either the next generation or the one after it. The new mentality is to use the failed science that unmanaged 'predators' are better at managing ecosystems than hunters are. If you have any doubt about this, take the time to talk with some of the younger biologists that are employed at your game agency. It is disheartening at how many anti-hunters are now employed and have their wages paid for by hunters to boot.

Somehow, the 'meat' hunter is now looked down upon, gone are the days that providing natural, real organic meat and herd management are the motivating or sought out reasons for harvesting wild game. Everyone has their personal reasons for hunting, and when one group starts to beat up on the other, they all end up divided.

I fight everyday to attempt to somehow save our hunting heritage and return this once great state to the solid management we once used. But the truth is, we are going to lose. More and more federal land is locked up every year, I live in a state that is 63% public land, yet have a hard time finding access to most of it, more gates go in every year, hunters get consolidated on top of each other and the game numbers are in the tank, the price keeps going up and there are wolves everywhere you go that have depleted the game.

I used to be a avid bear hunter, I lived, ate and breathed elk hunting in my younger years, but anymore about all I have left is a huge battle to try and save it. Enjoy it while you can, because what they have brought to Idaho will be coming to your state soon enough.

And if you can.....get a young person involved. We have no chance without them, and it seems most of the young people would rather 'hunt' on their playstation than get out in the woods and learn a real skill.

Well boys..ladies ..its game on . Duck season has started . Sat morning 205 taken ..afternoon hunt 88 ( youth hunt ) . I got out last eve and the ducks wised up fast . Only 80 birds taken all day yesterday . This am i didnt get a draw . Blue bird days at 80^ . The fields are in great shape , the wet spring and late planting didnt hurt . GL and stay safe .

Game on here as well!
    One Gator and a doe in the freezer!
    Took my niece on her first Gator hunt.
    Going to clean and dip the head in Pink Camo!

http://legacyskull.com/

I know it rough out west with the wolf situation...but I disagree with Idahobeek, things will get better. There are some great groups fighting for accsess.

Rats. I drew tags for both elk and deer and won't be going.
    Nobody ruins my day without my permission, and I refuse to grant it...

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Digman View Post
    Rats. I drew tags for both elk and deer and won't be going.
    What unit?
    I had 5a in my last hunt when I lived there!

I have been fortunate enough to have good hunting all my life-butchered our own and did not waste any meat. Began hunting in 1954 and now have a Pennsylvania senior lifetime hunting as well as a senior lifetime fishing license.
    Many years of hunter safety education teaching as well as several years of deputy game protector in our state.
    Hunting has changed dramatically to say the least, posting of lands seems to be everywhere, I feel hunting is still a privelege and enjoy it but am not nearly as addicted to hunting as the years progress, now the fun is hunting with grandchildren.
    I see deer daily in my yard and or gardens and appreciate the beautiful animals. In the area I live a buck has to have four or more points to an antler to be legal, it is a good habitat for whitetails.
    Archery always was my favorite, now I use a crossbow when hunting.
    There are a lot more bears to hunt in our state now as well as turkeys and whitetails, small game hunters are few compared to the past years.
    Hopefully in the future our families will be able to choose whether to enjoy some of the rights to choose hunting as a sport or just watching nature and its' marvelous beauty.
    I just could not help myself when I read the threads, I had to respond. Good thread.
    "Younz" have a great day, I will.

Racoon is the rage around here these days. I am not a coon hunter, but have friends who are.. and man... are they ever rabid.... the hunters that is. All you got to do is say "Coon"... and they are off talking about them. I don't gather they are especially tasty... but one has promised to bring me some coon meat... so guess I will find out. Guess I just don't understand their enthusiasm for running through the swamps deep in the night... crawling through all kind of brush.... chasing a pack of excited coon hounds... but I can tell you .... they love it. Maybe I am just jealous?

I never got the hang of fishing, although I did it most every day of most of my summers until I was 16. I never got the hang of bird hunting, just never did enough of it. I love to hunt big game with a rifle. Elk, deer, antelope...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Love hunting.... all big game and a few birds. Since I'm back in Farmington NM and in a premier (world renoun) fly fishing area, I picked that up a few years back.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast