Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Any hunters/fisherman in here!

Ive been an avid hunter and fisherman for 26 years here in California, the fishing and hunting is great, but man, you need to cut off an arm and a leg everytime you buy a license!!! Im picking up a new license and one deer tag today and I will walk out the door with $72 less dollars in my wallet!!! Pretty soon it will be cheaper to hunt out of state as a non-resident!!

We have about 2500 acres with pigs, deer, quail and other small game to hunt, plus I travel up to the Oregon/Klamath border to hunt geese for a week every year at the Tule Lake/Klamath refuges. I also am a die hard waterfowler and hunt ducks and geese in the Sacramento Valley and Los Banos area refuges.

As for fishing, I am 1/2 hour from the S.F Bay and the Delta, so I fish for Sturgeon, halibut, stripers and sharks. When I travel to the foothills I fish for trout, land locked King Salmon and Kokanee, which is a favorite of mine!!

I am also an avid archer and would rather hunt with a bow than a rifle anymore since its more of a challenge!!

Anyhow, just seeing if anyone else out there enjoys fresh products from the outdoors besides honey!!LOL.....................Jason

Default Re: Any hunters/fisherman in here!

Fished for years. The State of Missouri is second only to California in dollars spent for conservation. Thousands of acres and tons of conservation projects here in our state has resulted in a lot of great fishing and hunting areas. As well as national forests ect..
    Try living life with the attitude it's not about what you want to do but what you should do!

I spend 99 percent of my hunting time after whitetails, and most years I harvest multiple animals. I like taking them with my bow as well, but there is something about hunting with a seven millimeter magnum that is more special than any other type of hunting. I am kind of a tweener when it comes to deer, won't shoot the little bucks, but if it has 6 points and the antler are beyond the ears, I'll gladly harvest it. Then I always strive to reduce the deer herd by taking some does.

I could write tons and tons of posts about fishing, but some of you would get jealous and want to kick me off.

One of the main reasons I moved to Colorado was for all the public lands. Though the transition from feeding the family on huge messes of fish from big water in WI to tiny trout you put back was a little painful .
    Bees, brews and fun
    in Lyons, CO

Why are there not more bear hunters? Seems like great game to go after. Kinda tough on the dogs, though, but they seem to love it. A 400 lb bear is a lot of meat,,, and tasty too- at least in the hands of the right chef. No shortage of bears either... at least not in eastern NC.

The only bears we have here are the ones that drift over from Chicago on the weekends. Were always glad to see them go home.
    I think most keeps have plenty of bear bait. I would gladly assist with control all I need is an invite

I am not a bear hunter... although I am thinking of becoming one. Seems a favored armament is a 44 magnum pistol in these parts. I find that kind of interesting. I guess that is due to the places where bears get caught... in the thick brush, down near the swamp.

It seems like bears are the most active now.. may/june when the young males get caste out from their ma... and have to go out and find a territory. They are even wandering around up in the more urban part of the state right now.. getting folks real excited.

I live to hunt. Just took the kids hog hunting this morning. We took two. I'm sitting in the truck at camp trying to cool off as I write this.
    Going gator hunting again this year ( successful draw).
    Most people wouldn't think so but I think Florida is a great place to be a hunter!!

my son and I deer hunt. never been much for fishing. gave up hog hunting, to much trouble with landowners plus the 2 hours to get there eats too much gas. them dogs do plenty eatin too

I used to hunt pigs with dogs a lot when I was younger and didnt have kids to worry about, used to run catahoulas!! We used .44 Mag packers rifles, they were short and perfect for the brush. I have friends that have hounds for bears and have been given an open invitation to go, but its usually during duck season so I dont go since im in the marsh/fields as much as I can be!! Tell you what, i'll trade some crummy blacktail deer meat for some of your corn fed whitetail any day!!! I usually turn my whole deer into pepper sticks, they make great snacks for work and hunting/fishing!!

Take care everyone!!.................Jason

Our license fees aren't to the point of deterring sportsmen from hunting/fishing... yet. A problem that is slowly creeping up on us is restricted access to good hunting land. My brother-in-law told me about 20 years ago, that once Kansas opens up big game hunting to non-residents, we will have a tough time getting to hunt. He was right, unfortunately, as the time that has passed since he said that, the state has done just that. It used to be all one had to do was ask permission and it was usually granted to hunt about anywhere. When big game opened to non-residents, land was suddenly leased or purchased by huge amounts of acres. One can't blame the landowners, as it's a good second income. But today, you have to really know someone to get to hunt because their land is probably spoken for by $$$. At one time, pasture land and creek bottom land sold cheaply here. Today, sports clubs buy those once 'waste' acreages up for amazing prices. Many huge Kansas ranches have been sold over recent years, all the new owners are non-agriculture entities- mostly hunting groups who sell hunts at very high prices. May acres have been bought by groups such as Nature Conservancy, who do not allow sportsmen's access at all. Their agenda is important, but maybe a bit too strong - controlled hunting is good for all involved.

A blue collar person is a low-classed hunter any more, it seems. I know a guy who works weekends as a hunting guide. He told me that after a good hunt, it's common to get a $100 tip from each hunter! None of them are common blue collar workers. Hunting seems to be going towards the hobby of the privileged class. Fortunately, I am a nephew to some aunts who own a little farm land with some hunting access. They are in their 70's & 80's so that privilege will go away someday. That said, I will admit we do have a good public hunting awareness program, with many acres of private land who allow public access through a state-funded program. Being free access, as you can guess, those lands get a lot of hunting pressure. Hunting seems to be growing to become the 'sport of kings'. I know many blue collar guys who have all but given up on the passion of hunting - either limited land access or limited funds to pay lease and other fees.

YES their are plenty of hunters and fishermen in here, however it also appears that there are a lot who aren't.

We lease out hunting rights. It can be a bit of a pain to maintain the rights of the group that leases the rights. Even with posted land, we always get hunters infringing on the leasers rights and when you point this out to the aggressor you can really get some wild reactions, Once I even thought i might get shot- right there on my own land. And just try calling the sheriffs dept out here in this wilderness. Its also no fun when the various hunting clubs go to warring with each other over hunting rights. And maybe the worst is the guys standing on the back of a pickup on the side of the road firing hi-powered rifles... and that is legal... down here. Over the years I have gotten a lot of tales about hunters... most of them not too good. If the only hunters we had to contend with were the ones we knew there would be no problem- simply because we respect them and they respect us.

So, IMHO, the worst problem that hunters seem to have is public relations and yes.. the price of a hunting lease will probably go up as it would be better to have no one renting and not have to deal with aggravations,

I love this topic // I hunt ducks 62 days a yr . Well not weekends ,,,i leave that for guys with jobs . I guided flyfishing on the ausable for 10 yrs . When it comes to deer i use the 50 cal black powder . Ive been known to shoot out my kitchen window . With the weather of late i havent made a fishing run ..A couple yrs ago on a hot summer eve ..i asked the wife if she wanted to make a couple pass's ..(drifts ) 1st pass a 1/4 mile from the house i got a 7 ft sturgen ..they way she was screaming still makes me giggle .

Swobee, unfortunately California fee's are getting out of hand and forcing people to put away or sell their gear. When I first started hunting in 1986, the adult license was about $18. A deer tag was about $15. Now a license is $42 and the first deer tag is $29, the second is $36. State Duck stamp is like $18 now, a season long refuge pass for ducks is $150. Fishing license is like $40 and a stamp to use two poles at the same time (in designated waters) is like $10. Almost every lake has a launch fee of atleast $10. The launch I use for sturgeon/stripers is still free for now, but you run the risk of coming back to a broken into vehicle!! As far as leases go, skies the limit. The ranch that borders ours is a working cattle ranch/ hunt club. The members pay $1700 + $1,000,000 liabilty insurance each for one deer and a couple pigs. They get to hunt like 3 months of the year and thats it..........and they have a waiting list a mile long to get in!!! Rice blinds for ducks and geese run about $1200-2500 a man in a 4 man pit blind, and your not gauranteed water on the opener or even all season!! Most of those clubs dont really start shooting good until about December.

The closest I travel to hunt ducks is 1 hour from my house, the farthest is almost 6 hours away. There has been many times ive talked to the wife about packing up and heading to the midwest or Colorado to be in the heart of hunting and fishing!! Im not even going to go into politics in the state!!LOL

Seal62, hunting ducks and geese is my passion!! I look forward to duck season every year!! Deer season is for my wife and the ducks are for me and my sons!! Ive gotten more into goose hunting last last couple years, nothing is more awesome than having a flock of specks drop into the decoys for 15 yard shots!! Gotta love the dry field hunting out of layout blinds and setting out hundreds of decoys!!

elk, deer,ducks, and geese. usually don't have time for the bow, although it sure extends the season. i am technically a meat hunter, we don't buy meat, but i also go deeper into the mountains than most so i usually get something nice. all my tags (up to seven deer,1 elk,archery) and fishing conservation license cost me less than $200.00. i try to take my kids fishing a couple times a year, but i don't get too into it. the rivers are usually freezing up by the end of rifle season, thats when we start duck and goose hunting.

My name is Shannon and Im a addict(LOL)........Im a whitetail freak(archery, rifle and muzzleloader)......avid fisherman.......hound hunter for bear, coon, and coyotes............and I love pulling the trigger on my guns just to hear them go bang.
    Leer Family Honey Farm-Shannon Leer

Right on Shannon!! I checked your profile and noticed we have the same birthday and were born the same year!! We are getting old aint we!!LOL
    Last edited by Barry; 05-29-2011 at 11:27 AM. Reason: excessive quoting

I have 3 boys. We do alot of hunting and fishing. We are very fortunate to have alot of family land to hunt on. Access is becoming a issue here in NW Arkansas. Efforts to increase mature bucks many of the WMA's have become permit only for deer. The wild turkey numbers have taken a big hit for unknown reasons. Some believe a increase in predator populations due to a decrease in trapping. We have also had flooding the last 3 springs during the hatch. Some also believe it is because of the increase in the feral hog population.

i grew up in an outdoors family but i have gone crazy with it. now my kids are avid hunters and love to fish. i said hunters not shooters all those hunt culbs and tv shows for the most part are a joke there is now fun in shooting tame deer. if all you do is farm deer feed them name them them set 20yds from a feeder and shoot the deer that come in thats shooting not hunting we hunt open land that has hunters all around and public we shoot on the average bigger deer than most and fill the freezer every year there is very little places to hunt non-commercially anymore. what ever happened to the old days when it was a true passionate way of life to obtain food and family fun.to all those hunters who think over hunted land is not worth it go anyway my daughter shot a 166 " buck in this kind of place last year we catch flathead up to 100 lbs and tons of them we hunt varmits coon turkey deer we love it and ill challenge any commercial hunter to hunt in the same enviroment as we do heck id put my youngest up against them well enough venting thanks.