Default Queen cups, Should I be worried?

I hived my first package just over 7 weeks ago and have 2 deeps with 7 of the 10 frames on the bottom being used and the top has 5-6 of the 8 having the bees work at. the last 2 frames of the top box have a frame feeder in them.
    the bottom box on the 8th frame has what appears to be queen cups on the lower portion of the frame. I could see at least 3 on that frame. The week before i didn't see these but when i look at a picture of that frame from then i can see the beginning of one.
    I couldn't see any egg or larvae in the cells. should I be worried? I sighted eggs on some of the other frames in both boxes and larvae were abundant as well, so I would think that the queen is laying well.
    Should i just keep an I out on the next inspection or is this a sign of things to come?
    here is 2 pics of the frame
    https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink
    https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink

Steve
    http://eastvanbees.wordpress.com

Default Re: Queen cups, Should I be worried?

I think it is natural for bees to make queens cups. They make them so when they need to swarm they can force the queen to lay in it. They also use them for supercedure.

If you population is up to 8 frame of bees, you should add another deep or honey supers.

the links you posted don't seem to work.

I wouldn't be overly worried, but I'd keep an eye on them. If you could double check your links, pics would be helpful. Queen cups are normal. Swarm cells are...well...swarm cells and that's a different story.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

I wouldn't be too worried but I'd watch them.

I'd add that if you have Russian bees, they really like to build queen cups. In my experience, Russians basically always have some around the brood area, whether or not they have any intention of swarming.

I have a Carniolan queen

I have a question about adding another super.
    I have one ready but it is a medium and I'm wondering, if i'm supposed to save the honey the first year for overwintering the colony what happens if i put a medium frame with honey on it in a deep box for the winter? Or should i just get another deep box to put on the 2 that I have now.

You can use the medium. At some point, you'll need to decide how you want your hive to be built. For now, a medium is fine.

I take all honey from supers. As long as you feed them in fall it all good.

Those queen cells are normal supercedure.

My Carnys always make cells with new queens then tear them down. If they do cap them, then they don't like the queen and are changing her. Once they make a new queen the old one will get killed.