Default Suit VS Jacket (need to order today)

I've talked hubby into helping me with the hives during honey season but don't know if I should get him a full suit or a jacket. I think I'm going to get the jacket and just wear heavy pants and my MUCK brand boots (tight at the top so no bees climbing in). He has some heavy carhart pants and MUCK boots as well. He's pretty dang tall so we'd have to get a suit that was huge on him for it to not "crotch" him. So here's my list of pros and cons

Pros Jacket:
    Cooler (he sweats when it's 60 degrees)
    Won't be short in the crotch or legs
    Cheaper (I have to buy 2 now )

Cons Jacket:
    He'd feel more secure in a suit
    If he gets stung in the butt he'll swear it wouldn't have happened in a full suit

Default Re: Suit VS Jacket (need to order today)

The "Bee Brothers" err on the side of staying cooler

Person choice. I just recently bought a jacket as the suit was just too hot and cumbersome for me. Normally I only use a veil but it is nice to have the jacket when then girls are testy.
    Experience isn't always the best way to learn...You usually get the lesson first...And the instruction afterwards...

Suits are cumbersome, jackets are definitely cooler, cheaper and easier to move around in. Jackets

Okay I'm ordering jackets. I think he will just be hot and miserable in a suit. Thanks for the quick replys You guys have all been great with my million newb questions!

For me the jacket is faster to put on than a veil and since I mostly beekeep when it is in the 50's to 70's heat isn't much of an issue for most of the year. I don't like my old suit since I have to take my boots off to put it on and it doesn't have elastic in the sleeves or pant legs so bees start walking in.

So if it is hot I use a veil and otherwise a jacket. Stings through levi's aren't bad anyway.

I have several suits and several jackets. The jackets get used far more than the suits. Both are nice to have.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

It depends how he feels about bees. I use a jacket and am happy with it. A few times a year I'll make the bees so cross they'll sting through my pants, but I'm used to it. If he's not really relaxed around bees then a suit might give him more confidence and allow him to enjoy helping a little more.

Ultra breeze jacket-they are cut long and easy on and off.

I acquired several suits from retired beekeepers and all of them were hot. I didn't think a jacket was any better than a long sleeved white shirt with a tie-on veil. Then I decided to break down and buy an Ultrabreeze full suit. I love it. Wished I had bought it earlier.

Grant
    Jackson, MO
    Beekeeping With Twenty-five Hives: https://www.createspace.com/4152725

I ordered us the economy jackets with hood from MannLake. I wish I could get the ultrabreeze right now but I'll have to save up my tip money for a while. I've just got the one hive this year and will only need his help a couple of times for some heavy lifting. If he decides that he likes helping I'll buy him and Ultrabreeze as a gift as soon as I have the money. I will get his first so he'll keep wanting to help