Default Won't they swarm?

I have a queenright hive raising a couple of queen cells in JZ-BZ cups (just being capped about now). Won't the existing queen want to swarm? At what point should I move the existing queen or queen cells to prevent this?

-ekrouse

Default Re: Won't they swarm?

This all depends on how your hive is set up, how strong it is, etc.

I'll assume you have the queen in the bottom box, and the cells are in the next box up over an excluder? If so, leave the cells there till just before they hatch, the hive should not swarm. If your hive is set up like this, it could be a good plan about now, to take two frames of eggs or young larvae from the bottom box, and put them on each side of the queen cells. This will ensure the cells are kept at the right temperature right up to hatching, plus give the queen some new frames to lay eggs in.
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

Default Re: Won't they swarm?

Thanks Oldtimer. It is setup as you say. Medium box on bottom w/ queen. Queen excluder and two mediums above w/ queen frame in top between frames of brood.

-Eric