Default Is carbolinuem iv safe for hives?

Recently purchased a can of carbolineum iv at a beekeeping supply store. This is the first time I had ever seen this coating for sale at a beek supply store. The company claims they have removed the penta and arsenicals and the can says it can be used on beehive crates. The website says the product is a blend of two original oils now. Does anyone else use this or have any other information to provide?

Default Re: Is carbolinuem iv safe for hives?

Never used it (I've always used paint. The company makes it hard to get to the MSDS sheet for it but I found it buried deep in their Canadian website. It is basically petroleum hydrocarbons (oil compounds,) acetone, propane and mineral spirits.

The product data sheet says it takes 2 weeks to dry and dries to an oily finish. Does that mean your hands will be gummy from the oil and dirt every time you pick up a box?

Wayne

I doubt very seriously that if it was purchased from a reputable bee store that it would be toxic to bees or not safe for honey supers etc. etc.
    Honeydew

I doubt it , too. Liability is an ugly word that shop would just as soon avoid, I'm sure.
    Willi

Historically it was used only on hive stands, in the same manner as creosote would be used. I would not put it on anything that bee lived in.

Crazy Roland

I have used nothing but Eco Wood Organic Wood Treatment on all my supers, tops and bottoms for 5 years now with great success. One time lifetime application, and 100% organic and non-toxic. Spray, brush or dip. Wish I would have found it years ago, sure beats painting and toxic dips.