Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Default Re: Slovenian AZ Beehive

Quote Originally Posted by cerezha View Post
    I particularly love the elegance of curved roof over the "facade" of the beehouse. It looks like the bigger room (plan A) has honey-extraction area?
    I agree 100% on the curved front/top. I think it is the same, or very close, to the one posted by bostek in the photo section. I also like the natural wood finish and wonder what they are using that stands up to their winters. Also I think you are right on the second room being the extractor room, which I like very much. My garage is already full of "stuff" so beyond the cost of an extractor there is the storage overhead for something used twice a year?
    I am also curious on how that watering board works, in the picture that bostek put up. I like the rainwater recovery system to the tank too.
    Mike
    N5RWH - 9a

For translation I need some time,even is slovenian simmilar to ours, it's not so small text. I'll see later. For pouring bees into hive is some as You say "adapter board" which you put when open the door and so the bees don't fall on the ground. The holders goes into the hive and plate with some edge on a sides is in front of You. So when need to brush off the bees from frames or so it is helpful. But some beekeepers don't want to bother with it ( it slows them)..
    Still didn't found the book, sorry..

Forgot to see this board, type in google picture search " sipalnik" or " sipaonik". It's simple to make.
    Last edited by Goran; 12-04-2012 at 01:17 PM. Reason: Adding some text.

Thank you very much for your time Goran, I kind of assumed that use after seeing bostek's video. Now I am just trying to gather information on tools and techniques for this type of hive.
    Mike
    N5RWH - 9a

What I know I will try to give objective info without make-up. Now is winter, in spring I may be more in chance to picture some AŽ grom at my place. Now we are all busy in a " workshops", preparing woodenware, planning, reading, etc.. I believe same as You.
    All the best..

Goran,
    Thank you again for your support. Inside pictures of how things are positioned inside a bee house would be very helpful, and Spring will be fine.
    Thank you again.

Update: If anyone knows of YouTube videos showing the AZ hives or the bee houses they are built into please share them, assuming they have not already been shared in this thread. Thank you.
    Last edited by mmmooretx; 12-04-2012 at 05:52 PM. Reason: Update
    Mike
    N5RWH - 9a

Quote Originally Posted by mmmooretx View Post
    ... I also like the natural wood finish and wonder what they are using that stands up to their winters. ...
    In Russia we were using hard boiled linseed oil - apply hot in 3-5 24-48 hours apart coats until oil does not get in anymore. It creates beautiful golden finish, which survived many Russian winters. It was most common way of wood preservation in Russia for centuries. I tried the same approach here in US (SoCal) and it did not work at all - oil is not the same and/or sun. My impression is that in SoCal at least UV from sun is much-much stronger than in Russia and it damages oil finish. In Los Angeles, literally any transparent outdoor finish does not stay for more than 1.5 years... I find the oil-based finish from Canada,which designed for boats (expensive) - this one stays 3 years on my redwood deck. It creates really beautiful finish - if interested, I could find the name of the product.
    Серёжа, Sergey

Sergey,
    I read somewhere to add 1-2 ounces of beeswax to 1 quart of boiled linseed oil and brush on while hot, but do not remember about multiple coats.
    Mike
    N5RWH - 9a

Sergey,
    I read somewhere to add 1-2 ounces of beeswax to 1 quart of boiled linseed oil and brush on while hot, but do not remember about multiple coats.
    Interesting. In Russia, we just use linseed oil - when it dry, it is like varnish, it creates a thick hard shiny golden layer. I would imagine, with wax it would be more waterproof, but wax will make protective layer softer and less shiny...
    Серёжа, Sergey

Quote Originally Posted by cerezha View Post
    Interesting. In Russia, we just use linseed oil - when it dry, it is like varnish, it creates a thick hard shiny golden layer. I would imagine, with wax it would be more waterproof, but wax will make protective layer softer and less shiny...
    Sergey, what type of wood did you use in Russia and did you only coat the outside or inside and outside?
    Mike
    N5RWH - 9a

Sergey, what type of wood did you use in Russia and did you only coat the outside or inside and outside?
    Good question. We mainly use a pine, but I know that people used linseed oil on birch and other porous wood. I am not sure how it is used on log-houses. My understanding is that they cover the entire log before building. But I also saw a new houses built from un-treated wood, which, I assume, will be treated later. From another hand I know that Russians prefer untreated wood inside the house for "freshness of the air" and breathing (wood is breathing). So, the answer is that I do not know exactly. I think, that service buildings are probably treated entirely, houses - probably treated only outside. Keep in mind that it was many years ago. I do not think that anybody in Russia treat wood with linseed oil anymore. Russia is following Western at least in consuming preferences - I would guess that they use artificially created varnish exported from Germany these days...
    Серёжа, Sergey

Quote Originally Posted by Pamlar View Post
    I have been searching the website for plans on this particular hive and have had
    almost zero results. Found only one website from Slovenia and their arrticular plans left more questions than answers. Any infor on additional websites or plans for this particular hive would be sincerely appreciated. Thanks much...
    pamlar
    Hi:

If you are interested in purchasing one already built, try Logar in SLovenia. Nadja is very helpful and speaks English very well. The cost of the hive is $240 (20 frames) but the shipping is about $195. Also the foundation is different size than Langstroth and is thicker so you would have to rig something up or go foundationless. I am thinking of purchasing one if I can solve this problem.

Peg
    igep21@gmail.com

http://www.soiledandseeded.com/magaz...f_slovenia.php

Really interesting pictures in this article. I love the ones of the truck....Bee Vacation Time......

Quote Originally Posted by Mariner View Post
    Has anyone had any luck with obtaining an AŽ hive? I've been doing a bit of research and have found a lot of sources on Slovenian web sites, however I'm not sure anyone will ship to the US. Ideally a set of good plans would be helpful. I'm planning on making one if I cannot get one next winter....I can send links of the stuff I found just let me know.

http://www.bolha.com/cebelarstvo/az-...glas1277523218

http://www.logar-trade.si/p/Panj-10-...lasid=10601000
    Hi:

I just successfully ordered a AZ hive from Logar. Email to nadja.bertoncelj@logar-trade.si.
    She is very helpful and speaks English well. The cost with shipping is about $400. I paid for it using Western Union online which converted the currency. If you have any questions you can email me at igep21@gmail.com

Hi Goran:

I just purchased AZ hive but have not received it yet. Can you further explain how you install a package of bees into the hive? I am wondering if I can just remove 4-5 frames and put the box in but still have to figure out where to put the queen. Perhaps suspend the cage between the tops of two frames? Please let me know if you have any suggestions.

Thanks
    Peg

Quote Originally Posted by Goran View Post
    Type "AŽ košnice" in google picture search and You'll see beehouse and how are transported, also there are 10 frame - standard. 11-12 frames "AŽ GROM". On a small place more hives, extremelly mobile.. But difficult to make and expensive.. Some says even You get all measures always something goes wrong, the best is buy one and copy-paste. And have a "fun" to assemble it.
    Hi Goran:

DO you have plans for a very small siomple bee house for an AZ hive. I am expecting one in a few weeks and haven't any idea how to build the housing.
    Thanks!
    Peg

Quote Originally Posted by Pamlar View Post
    I have been searching the website for plans on this particular hive and have had
    almost zero results. Found only one website from Slovenia and their arrticular plans left more questions than answers. Any infor on additional websites or plans for this particular hive would be sincerely appreciated. Thanks much...
    pamlar
    You can purchase one from Logar for about $400 including shipping

Logar in Sencur Slovenia has AZ hives for sale

I hope you are still on the forum and still using the AZ beehive. I am in the same boat you were in a few years ago. I have an AZ hive on order but haven't the slightest idea of how to house it or how to manage it. I would really appreciate and suggestions and pictures if possible. I may need to wait until next year to set it up. Please contact me
    Peg in Boston MA
    igep21@gmail.com

Langstroth-compatible AZ hives would be nice...
    www.apisrustica.com (French-only website) Bee Breeding: Canadian nuclei & queens / northern hygienic bees

I may be very wrong but after looking on line I don't think it would be all that difficult to modify Langstroth concept into these hives. The hives I saw had 10 frames with a front entrance. The back was a door that swung open, then there was a removable cross brace that held a frame with frame spacers and a ventilation panel. The spacer frame and ventilation panel are pried off to get to the bee frames. The top had an excluder on it and above that was a super that looked like a Lang dadant super. There were metal cleats on the side to keep the super and brood box in line. The brood box with door etc seemed a bit deeper than the super so there is a small shelf on the top of the back of the brood box. Seems that would keep the lower box physically stable. The bottom board appeared to be screened.
    They seem to stack them directly side by side with 1-2 supers, then a shelf and the next row of hives goes into place.
    If some else has different thoughts on this let me know.
    Also the front entrance seems to have a landing board the flips up to close it and some seem to have a small entrance on the front of the supers.

Like to hear what others think. Modifying a Lang concept would be more cost effective than p[aying shipping from Slovenia. If cost was no issue order a dozen and go for it
    If enough folks were interested it may be more cost effective to order a container as a group.
    Janne....first hives April 2013, 19 hives, treat, plant zone 8b, at sea level, latitude 49.13, longitude 123.06

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast