Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Slovenian AZ Beehive

102K views 139 replies 31 participants last post by  steve4bees 
#1 ·
I have been searching the website for plans on this particular hive and have had
almost zero results. Found only one website from Slovenia and their arrticular plans left more questions than answers. Any infor on additional websites or plans for this particular hive would be sincerely appreciated. Thanks much...
pamlar

#88 ·
Interesting. In Russia, we just use linseed oil - when it dry, it is like varnish, it creates a thick hard shiny golden layer. I would imagine, with wax it would be more waterproof, but wax will make protective layer softer and less shiny...

#91 ·
Hi:

If you are interested in purchasing one already built, try Logar in SLovenia. Nadja is very helpful and speaks English very well. The cost of the hive is $240 (20 frames) but the shipping is about $195. Also the foundation is different size than Langstroth and is thicker so you would have to rig something up or go foundationless. I am thinking of purchasing one if I can solve this problem.

Peg
igep21@gmail.com:)

#94 ·
Hi Goran:

I just purchased AZ hive but have not received it yet. Can you further explain how you install a package of bees into the hive? I am wondering if I can just remove 4-5 frames and put the box in but still have to figure out where to put the queen. Perhaps suspend the cage between the tops of two frames? Please let me know if you have any suggestions.

Thanks
Peg

#98 ·
I hope you are still on the forum and still using the AZ beehive. I am in the same boat you were in a few years ago. I have an AZ hive on order but haven't the slightest idea of how to house it or how to manage it. I would really appreciate and suggestions and pictures if possible. I may need to wait until next year to set it up. Please contact me
Peg in Boston MA
igep21@gmail.com

#100 ·
I may be very wrong but after looking on line I don't think it would be all that difficult to modify Langstroth concept into these hives. The hives I saw had 10 frames with a front entrance. The back was a door that swung open, then there was a removable cross brace that held a frame with frame spacers and a ventilation panel. The spacer frame and ventilation panel are pried off to get to the bee frames. The top had an excluder on it and above that was a super that looked like a Lang dadant super. There were metal cleats on the side to keep the super and brood box in line. The brood box with door etc seemed a bit deeper than the super so there is a small shelf on the top of the back of the brood box. Seems that would keep the lower box physically stable. The bottom board appeared to be screened.
They seem to stack them directly side by side with 1-2 supers, then a shelf and the next row of hives goes into place.
If some else has different thoughts on this let me know.
Also the front entrance seems to have a landing board the flips up to close it and some seem to have a small entrance on the front of the supers.

Like to hear what others think. Modifying a Lang concept would be more cost effective than p[aying shipping from Slovenia. If cost was no issue order a dozen and go for it:)
If enough folks were interested it may be more cost effective to order a container as a group.

#101 ·
The Lang is so different that it might be hard to modify. You would have to connect the two deeps, make a back door and think of a totally different mechanism to slide the frames since the top bar is flat instead of curved. It would be great if we can figure out a design that can at least utilize the Lang frames. My friend Mark is looking into having a man in Michigan try to copy his AZ hive. We may have an answer in a few weeks if he can do it. There is also a lady in Georgia who is having her carpenter build some.

#109 ·
Hi:

Just received my hive today but have not unpacked it. Waiting for the weather to improve. I did order foundation from Logar but don't know if I will actually set the hive up this year or wait until next. I want to understand more about the hive and get properly set up before installing bees into it. My bees will be here in less than one month and I don't know if I will be ready to use the AZ by then. If anyone wants to order a hive from Logar, email me at igep21@gmail.com and I will give you info on how I ordered it.

Peg

#111 ·
Hi Goran:

I was not able to get a Grom AZ so just have the standard size. Do I have any options for adding a super or expanding the hive if needed? Or is my only option to extract one frame at a time. Please advise.

Peg
igep21@gmail.com

I will try to give You some problems mentioned with AŽ standard. I don't beekeep with AŽ, I use langs. But man who I know and use AŽ preffer AŽ Grom cause of space ( brood and honey). But if You are "condemned" to standard, there are some options. To make nucs of surplus of brood by simple taking it, or to attach from back side one cassette with 4 frames which queen will lay in and that way expand the brood space. Later You can take these 4 frames of brood also and make nuc. Of course they do also relieving the pressure in brood box by lifting the frames of sealed brood above. But it is rather small hive for great colonies ( as they say and I believe that).
By the way I saw some modifications of lang hives as AŽ system, at the moment not my sphere of interest, I didn't saw them live and heard experiences . These ideas good to ease the migratory beekeeping, as many migratory beeks use bee containers for that job ( and cause of small space in containers). One day hopefully when I could afford to evolve to such stage I will study more about it.

#113 ·
HI Goran:

Thanks for the info but I have a couple of questions. If I take brood frames from the AZ, would I put them in a NUC box? WOuld they fit in a Langstroth size NUC box or would they be too long or tall? Then once the frame is removed from the AZ there would be too much space with the gap and they would make burr comb.
As for the cassette, I am not sure what you mean. What exactly is a cassette and how would I attach it to the brood box? Are you talking about a standard 5 frame NUC box?
Have you seen any pictures of modified Lang hives that use AZ system? What exactly do you mean by "migratory beekeeping"?
Sorry for all of the questions but most of athis is really new to me. I really appreciate your help and your patience.

Thanks

Peg

#114 ·
Hi Folks,

Plymouth County, Massachusetts here. At our February meeting, my club had a speaker, Mark Simonitsch, about Slovenia beekeeping. Please click link:

http://www.plymouthcountybeekeepers.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/Slovenian-Bee-Tour-Fall-2014.pdf

Anyway,...He and his friend, both from Chatham, Cape Cod, brought along one of these hives, straight from Slovenia, and demonstrated the contraption. Talk about your "Black Forest Cuckoo Clock". Verrryyy Interesting.

They (the friend) plan/s to build these things here in the Good Ole U.S. of A. These are not only "works of art", but super-functional as well.

The photo seminar was very, very pleasant. They were real nice guys.

Mark's phone number is at the end of the attachment.

CBS

#122 ·
Hi Trinity,
I am not sure which feeder you are referring to but there are two types used with the Slovene AZ Hive. One is part of the back screen door and you pour the sugar water in and they climb down the screen on the inside. Product Wood Furniture Hardwood Wood stain
There is also a bottle feeder that inserts under the lower back screen and you can use regular water bottles with tiny holes in the lid. There are plugs that can cover the unused openings, there are 3 openings in all. I can get a picture if this is the one you are referring to. The bottle board has a bee space underneath so they can get to the bottle caps.

Suzanne
Slovenian Beekeeping LLC

#123 · (Edited)
I am not sure which feeder you are referring to but there are two types used with the Slovene AZ Hive. One is part of the back screen door and you pour the sugar water in and they climb down the screen on the inside.
Thanks, Suzanne. I heard back earlier today from a beekeeper in Slovenia (used to be a regular here, but hasn't been active in over a year). He described the "traditional" screen door feeder to me in enough detail that I was able to figure it out. I hadn't been able to see from various photos that there is enough of a gap between the screen and the inside of the feeder for the bees to get to the syrup. I presume that the feeder parts are sealed to prevent leaks?

#126 ·
Hi Trinity, the lower entrance has 3 sizes it can be and the biggest one is the same as the Lang. It has some pieces that can make it small or large. There is also an upper entrance, just like if you have two deep Langs, you have an inner cover above to allow for a second entrance. You want these entrances for circulation. Suzanne

#127 ·
Hi Trinity, the lower entrance has 3 sizes it can be and the biggest one is the same as the Lang. It has some pieces that can make it small or large.
So, basically the same principle as a Langstroth-style entrance reducer (the ones that flip different ways for different sizes of opening)?

There is also an upper entrance, just like if you have two deep Langs, you have an inner cover above to allow for a second entrance. You want these entrances for circulation.
It seems to me that the Slovenians use the upper entrances more than we do here in the U.S.

I notice that some of the AZ hives are double-walled in front and others are not. (The plans online show a double wall.) Is there any other reason for the double wall, besides insulation from the cold? And why is there so much space between the outside of the feeder and the door?

#128 ·
Hello, the double wall is for insulation. The space in back is for a few reasons:
1) in colder climates you can put a layer of insulation there,
2) there is a 3 bottle feeder that slides under the bottom frame, I have attached a pic Furniture Room Cabinetry Wood stain Hardwood

3) although probably not one of the reasons but certainly works for us who want to change over from Langs to AZ, the Lang frames will slide in there but you will not be able to close the back screen doors. Then as you take out the Lang frames to do splits or take out honey frames, you would replace with the AZ frames.

Suzanne

#130 ·
The AZ hives all come with the extra space in the back. The ones we import from Slovenia come fully assembled. You will want this space if you are putting Lang frames into it and it also offers a great space as you can make a hanging attachment with the mite control patties on the back inside of the door.

#132 ·
I am in the process of building AZ hives to fit the Lang frames size.The Langs are longer and narrower than the AZ frames.Brian Drebber is selling the boxes which are adapted to the Langs size.Since I am long retired I elected to build my own boxes and have 1 finished except for the door.
If any one is interested in the AZ hive method I would buy the hives instead of building them.MY bee house is finished on the inside and I am working on that also.I need to get the front done before installing any bees.Extraction of the AZ frames might be a problem as well since all our extractors are designed for the Lang frames.I designed my own hive and hope it is proper!I have built many Langs and the AZ is quiet different!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.