Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Default Re: Slovenian AZ Beehive

Quote Originally Posted by WBVC View Post
    I may be very wrong but after looking on line I don't think it would be all that difficult to modify Langstroth concept into these hives. The hives I saw had 10 frames with a front entrance. The back was a door that swung open, then there was a removable cross brace that held a frame with frame spacers and a ventilation panel. The spacer frame and ventilation panel are pried off to get to the bee frames. The top had an excluder on it and above that was a super that looked like a Lang dadant super. There were metal cleats on the side to keep the super and brood box in line. The brood box with door etc seemed a bit deeper than the super so there is a small shelf on the top of the back of the brood box. Seems that would keep the lower box physically stable. The bottom board appeared to be screened.
    They seem to stack them directly side by side with 1-2 supers, then a shelf and the next row of hives goes into place.
    If some else has different thoughts on this let me know.
    Also the front entrance seems to have a landing board the flips up to close it and some seem to have a small entrance on the front of the supers.

Like to hear what others think. Modifying a Lang concept would be more cost effective than p[aying shipping from Slovenia. If cost was no issue order a dozen and go for it
    If enough folks were interested it may be more cost effective to order a container as a group.

The Lang is so different that it might be hard to modify. You would have to connect the two deeps, make a back door and think of a totally different mechanism to slide the frames since the top bar is flat instead of curved. It would be great if we can figure out a design that can at least utilize the Lang frames. My friend Mark is looking into having a man in Michigan try to copy his AZ hive. We may have an answer in a few weeks if he can do it. There is also a lady in Georgia who is having her carpenter build some.

Quote Originally Posted by igep View Post
    Hi Goran:

I just purchased AZ hive but have not received it yet. Can you further explain how you install a package of bees into the hive? I am wondering if I can just remove 4-5 frames and put the box in but still have to figure out where to put the queen. Perhaps suspend the cage between the tops of two frames? Please let me know if you have any suggestions.

Thanks
    Peg
    I didn't watched this theme recently.
    Here is one of the pics and I believe can make one:

http://www.logar-trade.si/resize/upl.../8178v-big.jpg

Hi Goran:

DO you have plans for a very small siomple bee house for an AZ hive. I am expecting one in a few weeks and haven't any idea how to build the housing.
    Thanks!
    Peg
    Just to have shelter above, If I be in chance will take pic of one such, not beauty but suits for purpose.

The Lang is so different that it might be hard to modify. You would have to connect the two deeps, make a back door and think of a totally different mechanism to slide the frames since the top bar is flat instead of curved. It would be great if we can figure out a design that can at least utilize the Lang frames. My friend Mark is looking into having a man in Michigan try to copy his AZ hive. We may have an answer in a few weeks if he can do it. There is also a lady in Georgia who is having her carpenter build some.
    Wasn't thinking of modifying a Lang...rather if one were to build a Slovenian hive to make the frame size compatible for adding brood, making nucs etc. I did email Nadia and await a reply.
    Let us know when your hive arrives and post lots of detailed photos
    Janne....first hives April 2013, 19 hives, treat, plant zone 8b, at sea level, latitude 49.13, longitude 123.06

Quote Originally Posted by peca777 View Post
    Super...can you translate the instructions? It would be helpful to many.
    Janne....first hives April 2013, 19 hives, treat, plant zone 8b, at sea level, latitude 49.13, longitude 123.06

ok i will try

Quote Originally Posted by Mariner View Post
    Has anyone had any luck with obtaining an AŽ hive? I've been doing a bit of research and have found a lot of sources on Slovenian web sites, however I'm not sure anyone will ship to the US. Ideally a set of good plans would be helpful. I'm planning on making one if I cannot get one next winter....I can send links of the stuff I found just let me know.

http://www.bolha.com/cebelarstvo/az-...glas1277523218

http://www.logar-trade.si/p/Panj-10-...lasid=10601000
    I am not sure if you are still looking for an AZ hive. If you are, Logar will ship to the US. If you are interested I will give you info on how I did it. I just received my hive today.

Peg

Hi:

Just received my hive today but have not unpacked it. Waiting for the weather to improve. I did order foundation from Logar but don't know if I will actually set the hive up this year or wait until next. I want to understand more about the hive and get properly set up before installing bees into it. My bees will be here in less than one month and I don't know if I will be ready to use the AZ by then. If anyone wants to order a hive from Logar, email me at igep21@gmail.com and I will give you info on how I ordered it.

Peg

Hi Goran:

I was not able to get a Grom AZ so just have the standard size. Do I have any options for adding a super or expanding the hive if needed? Or is my only option to extract one frame at a time. Please advise.

Peg
    igep21@gmail.com

Hi Goran:

I was not able to get a Grom AZ so just have the standard size. Do I have any options for adding a super or expanding the hive if needed? Or is my only option to extract one frame at a time. Please advise.

Peg
    igep21@gmail.com

I will try to give You some problems mentioned with AŽ standard. I don't beekeep with AŽ, I use langs. But man who I know and use AŽ preffer AŽ Grom cause of space ( brood and honey). But if You are "condemned" to standard, there are some options. To make nucs of surplus of brood by simple taking it, or to attach from back side one cassette with 4 frames which queen will lay in and that way expand the brood space. Later You can take these 4 frames of brood also and make nuc. Of course they do also relieving the pressure in brood box by lifting the frames of sealed brood above. But it is rather small hive for great colonies ( as they say and I believe that).
    By the way I saw some modifications of lang hives as AŽ system, at the moment not my sphere of interest, I didn't saw them live and heard experiences . These ideas good to ease the migratory beekeeping, as many migratory beeks use bee containers for that job ( and cause of small space in containers). One day hopefully when I could afford to evolve to such stage I will study more about it.

Smile Re: Slovenian AZ Beehive

Quote Originally Posted by Goran View Post
    Just to have shelter above, If I be in chance will take pic of one such, not beauty but suits for purpose.
    Hi Goran:

I did not receive picture yet. Did you already try to send it? I would really be interested in seeing it.

Also, can you tell me how the foundation fits or is installed in the AZ hive? I have heard it needs to be wired but is there a groove like in Langstroth frame?

Thanks,
    Peg

HI Goran:

Thanks for the info but I have a couple of questions. If I take brood frames from the AZ, would I put them in a NUC box? WOuld they fit in a Langstroth size NUC box or would they be too long or tall? Then once the frame is removed from the AZ there would be too much space with the gap and they would make burr comb.
    As for the cassette, I am not sure what you mean. What exactly is a cassette and how would I attach it to the brood box? Are you talking about a standard 5 frame NUC box?
    Have you seen any pictures of modified Lang hives that use AZ system? What exactly do you mean by "migratory beekeeping"?
    Sorry for all of the questions but most of athis is really new to me. I really appreciate your help and your patience.

Thanks

Peg

Hi Folks,

Plymouth County, Massachusetts here. At our February meeting, my club had a speaker, Mark Simonitsch, about Slovenia beekeeping. Please click link:

http://www.plymouthcountybeekeepers....-Fall-2014.pdf

Anyway,...He and his friend, both from Chatham, Cape Cod, brought along one of these hives, straight from Slovenia, and demonstrated the contraption. Talk about your "Black Forest Cuckoo Clock". Verrryyy Interesting.

They (the friend) plan/s to build these things here in the Good Ole U.S. of A. These are not only "works of art", but super-functional as well.

The photo seminar was very, very pleasant. They were real nice guys.

Mark's phone number is at the end of the attachment.

CBS

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456