Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Alternative to beekeeper gloves

A friend uses nitrile gloves, 10mil and 12 mil thickness gloves...I was wondering what people use as alternatives to clumsy beek gloves for my daughter.

Default Re: Alternative to beekeeper gloves

Well smoked bare hands.

I use nitrile gloves from Costco. If involved with a messy job several pairs can be worn, peeling off sticky gloves as you go. I only wear the calfskin beekeeping gloves when dealing with a hot hive or doing an ugly manipulation where the bees are going to be really unpleasant...

Some stingers can pass through the nitrile gloves but the "sting" is not as bad.
    BeeCurious
    Trying to think inside the box...

Quote Originally Posted by BeeCurious View Post
    I use nitrile gloves from Costco. If involved with a messy job several pairs can be worn, peeling off sticky gloves as you go. I only wear the calfskin beekeeping gloves when dealing with a hot hive or doing an ugly manipulation where the bees are going to be really unpleasant...

Some stingers can pass through the nitrile gloves but the "sting" is not as bad.
    i use licoln electric tig welding gloves

I use light thin leather work gloves. They keep the propolis off, but bees can sting through them. The sting is not as bad through the gloves.

The most I wear is the cheap 6mil blue nitrile groves found at Harbor Freight. I think bees CAN sting through them, but I haven't been stung through them yet in 3 years with bees.

I usually use the medium blue , 7 mil Harbor Freight nitrile gloves over a pair of "(brown cotton jersy)" work gloves . I use one size larger than my "barehanded" size.
    I have been stung once with this combo, when I pinched a bee between my fingers.
    It is more protection than the nitrile gloves alone, but with the nitrile gloves holding every thing snug, I can get by.
    CE
    Started summer of 2013, just another new guy, tinkering with bees.

I use 8mil nitrile gloves. Bees tend to avoid getting on them. It's almost like they don't like the feel of them. I also have a pair of goat skin gloves that I rarely ever wear. Bees tend to sting them quite a bit. Even though the sting has never made it through the goat skin gloves I don't like it because it kills bees.

I use the goatskin beekeeping gloves from Bucko. I bought 3 pair from them and they are well made and a very fair price. When I feel I need my hands stung more I'll try something else. If the bees want to sting my hands, I'm more than happy for them to meet their maker.
    Dan Boylan, When in doubt "It's mites".

I can't find gloves big enough to fit my huge hands. 😉

Mostly go bare handed but on the rare occasion I need more protection I use Thickster gloves..... Good dexterity and thick enough not to be stung through.... http://www.amazon.com/SAS-Safety-660.../dp/B0002STTW0
    Since '12 Zone 7a 3H TF SC 2H OAV SC

Quote Originally Posted by fivekai View Post
    i use licoln electric tig welding gloves
    I am always looking for a better glove, and bought myself a pair of these to try out.

They are really well made and super comfortable. However, the bees really went at the black leather suede cuffs. Only about a 1/4" of the cuff was exposed, but the bees were strongly attracted to that little bit of cuff and left lots of stingers in it when working a friend's defensive hive. I think the black color and the slightly fuzz-like texture of the suede incites the bees to sting thinking they have found the exposed skin of the animal attacking their hive.

I am going back to the regular goatskin beekeeping gloves with the cotton gauntlet. A shame because the Lincoln gloves are really nice.

JMHO
    --shinbone
    (4th year, Zone 5b, 10/12 hives survived W'14)

I developed an allergic reaction to stings, so I double glove. A pair of regular dishwashing gloves under a pair of heavy-duty chemical/cleaning gloves from a big box home improvement store.

I've taken a lot of hits during fall inspections the last two years, but nothing has penetrated both gloves.

I'd rather go barehanded, but I love the bees and I'd like to keep the hobby so I wear a full suit and 2 sets of gloves.

YMMV.

Tony P.
    There must be a harder way to do that... let me find it for you.

When my son was little, he used the Playtex dishwashing gloves. He's 12 now so he's outgrown the need for gloves.

Quote Originally Posted by shinbone View Post
    I am always looking for a better glove, and bought myself a pair of these to try out.

They are really well made and super comfortable. However, the bees really went at the black leather suede cuffs. Only about a 1/4" of the cuff was exposed, but the bees were strongly attracted to that little bit of cuff and left lots of stingers in it when working a friend's defensive hive. I think the black color and the slightly fuzz-like texture of the suede incites the bees to sting thinking they have found the exposed skin of the animal attacking their hive.

I am going back to the regular goatskin beekeeping gloves with the cotton gauntlet. A shame because the Lincoln gloves are really nice.

JMHO

just an idea but how about trying to spraypaint the black cuff white? the elasting of my ultrabreeze sleave covers the black on mine so i havnt had that issue

I use "Thickster" brand gloves, nice and thick, they run small so if you can find a box of small, or extra small, they might work for your daughter

I just tried my new Lincoln TIG welding gloves, very comfortable but like shinbone has stated the black suede cuffs became a real target for my meanest hive, they just honed in to that material and got about 100 stingers in them (and 100 dead bees). None in me. I'm going to try spraying some Plasti Dip yellow rubber spray to see if I can't deter them from the cuffs. They have a film on You Tube demonstrating the aggressiveness of Africanized bees where they use a swath of black suede now I know why.
    If you only have a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.
    Abraham Maslow

Quote Originally Posted by oldfordguy View Post
    When my son was little, he used the Playtex dishwashing gloves. He's 12 now so he's outgrown the need for gloves.
    lol!!
    --shinbone
    (4th year, Zone 5b, 10/12 hives survived W'14)

Playtex dish washing gloves have been useing for the last three years no stings yet .I use the yellow ones.