Default Thermal camera for your cell phone

Pretty good article and pics on the FLIR attachment. I would think the iOS version would be virtually the same.

http://mudsongs.org/beekeeping-with-...e-for-android/
    Zone 7a - 1650ft

Default Re: Thermal camera for your cell phone

What is really neat is cyberhive blog: Don-Rideaux-Crenshaw that has built sensor unit with battery level, outside temp/humidity inside temp/ humidity lower brood box Upper box. As the temp gets cooler/warmer the cluster maintains about 66 to 88 degrees. Pretty incredible to see a graph of week to week. It's all on WI-FI logged 24hours a day, so he can see it. He's shared it with me and the week to week it cool cause you can see what happens with down/up swings of the winter weather by temperature in the boxes. Anyhow if you want to see it and the link doesn't work it's on Google Plus (Bees and beekeeping)

I've been interested in that attachment since a FLIR rep told me it was coming back in 2013.

I have a FLIR i7 thermal imager, a $2000 toy I picked up when that was the bargain way of getting into thermal imaging. That's compared to the $30k cameras that were needed when I first got interested in that tech several decades back. For the cost to have now dropped to a few hundred bucks is just stunning, and opens up all sorts of opportunities that the more expensive cameras could not touch.

I did not buy my i7 for beekeeping. It has a huge number of uses (I used it last night to track down a heat leak in a temperature chamber I'm building).

For beekeeping, it is great fun to document just how warm the bodies of bees are. They heat their thorax muscles to above human body temperatures in order to fly. You can sometimes spot the broodnest without pulling frames. I can make out cluster heat from outside the hives if the conditions are right.

This time of the year, if you want to see if the hive is alive, there are two methods. The most obvious is to remove the entrance reducer and take a shot up into the hive. Warmth from the cluster should show up even if you cannot see it directly.

The other method is a bit tricky, and cannot be used if there is any external source of radiant heat on the hive (i.e., if the sun is shining the sun's heat will mask heat from the cluster). On a heavily overcast day, or at night, try imaging the hives and see if the thermal imager can make out a slightly warmer area on the supers.

View from entrance:

HiveO-Jan2016_0620.jpg

This hive was strong in January:

HiveO-Jan2016_0613.jpg

This was a deadout:

HiveZ-Jan2016_0615.jpg

I treated myself to the iOS FLIR in December. The first results were great. Satisfied my curiosity as to where the bees were and how large the cluster was. I also used it to check the wall above our fireplace insert. (makes you loose sleep when you see the heat signature behind 60 year old pine walls...)
    Nuc Jan 24 2017_Page_1.jpg
    Nuc Jan 24 2017_Page_2.jpg
    IMG_4859.jpg

Then I started having trouble with it charging. I sent it back and after a delay they replaced it (with the wrong strap).

But I've been keeping a log of the reports I generate with it to see how the hive behaves during the winter. It's wonderful to know what is going on inside the hive without every have to open it.
    Last edited by Cadence; 02-03-2017 at 10:38 AM. Reason: photo edit