Thread: SBB

Default SBB

In the Build it yourself page they have two options for the frame for an SBB. One with lap joints the other just cutting a square out of a piece of plywood. I have built a SSB with lap joints but was curious why I wouldn’t just take my oscillating saw and cut out a square in the plywood, seems easier and faster. Well for me anyway. Does it really matter?
    Thanks,
    Rob

Default Re: SBB

Plywood comes in a bunch of different grades. I have seen some plywood delaminate in less than 2 years outdoors, although that particular example was not in a hive.

If you are purchasing plywood, pay attention to the APA grade ratings that should be stamped on the plywood. If there are no ratings stamped on the wood, its probably no better than interior grade. Also, if you are buying CDX plywood, check the exposure rating. Note that "Exposure 1" is not the same as "Exterior" grade. More here: http://www.performancepanels.com/panel-faqs#difference1
    Graham
    . . . . . . "those who want to see, can see". - - [Oldtimer - 2016]

I make my screened bottom boards with butt joints using cheap firring strips, 1x2 for the sides, back and back bottom and 1x4 for the landing board. By having the sides and back standing up, and the back bottom and landing board laying down I get a 3/4" height of the hive bodies above the SBB floor. I use gorilla glue and screws to hold everything together. Costs me just a few bucks and maybe 30 minutes to make.

Quick ASCII drawing top view:

|---------| Sides and back are 1x2 standing up
    |=====| Back bottom is 1x2 laying down
    |+++++|
    |+++++|
    |+++++|Staple screen to back bottom, landing and side rails
    |+++++|
    |=====|Landing board 1 1x4 laying down
    |=====|

The bottom of all boards are flush to each other.

Note, by having the back the full width, 16.25, and the sides shorter (21.25") butt joint to the back, and the back bottom board, 15.5", butts to the sides making for a very strong interlocking joint overall. You could just make the sides 22" and have all of the cross boards at 15.5" and be butted to the sides. It probably does not make much difference, it's not like the bottom board takes a lot of stress.
    Third year underway, been a fascinating and fun journey so far. Have learned enough to know I have much more to learn.

Great information here. Thanks everyone.
    I’m going to try the plywood technique. With the CORRECT plywood.

Rob, I don't use the cut-out-the-hole in the plywood method simply because I don't have a good use for the cutout - it;s too small for a side, or a lid... I suppose with retrimming maybe it could be used as a front for a nuc or hive body or another small project.... to me it just seems like a waste of a nice big piece of material when something like scrap 1X2 or 2X4 could provide the material.

I do have a lot of scrap wood. I'm just not clear on exactly how it's done.

You don't need to use playwood on SBB's. Playwood...lol Typo but I'm leaving it.
    My friend builds them out of treated 5/4" deck boards and is extremely efficient at it.
    I'd post pics if I knew how and it's probably best that I don't.
    Internet credibility is an oxymoron

Going to rethink this. Lots of good ideas'.
    Thanks,
    Rob