Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Rome, GA
    Posts
    315

    Default D. Coates 5 Frame Nuc

    I can't wait to try these out. All you see here (minus the feeder jar) is from one $15 sheet of 1/2" ply.
    For clarification of the pic; they are four separate nuc boxes that will each have a feeder jar.
    I don't know why my pic is sideways?


    Thanks for the plans D!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ddawg; 01-26-2017 at 10:40 AM.
    Let's Eat Grandmaw ........... Let's Eat, Grandmaw.......Grammar Saves Lives

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Lottsburg, Virginia USA
    Posts
    672

    Default Re: D. Coates 5 Frame Nuc

    I made my first nucs like that, then the first season I had problems with the lids warping and then robbers soon found gaps. So bought some Advantech to make lids and no more warped lids. From there I started making the front and back from Advantech just had to route a 3/4" rebate for the frames. Now I make up my new medium supers using Advantech for the front and back and 7/8" ply for the sides. cost is around $3 per super.
    Johno

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Covington, Alabama, USA
    Posts
    300

    Default Re: D. Coates 5 Frame Nuc

    I made a set of D. Coates nucs last year and I have made a set for this year as well. If warping is a problem, you can simply put a strip 2 inch ply down each side of the top and you will have a telescoping cover. I also modified D. Coates plans and made 4 medium nucs for this year too. They worked well last year. Housed a split and a cut out.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Henry County,GA
    Posts
    17

    Default Re: D. Coates 5 Frame Nuc

    Quote Originally Posted by psm1212 View Post
    I made a set of D. Coates nucs last year and I have made a set for this year as well. If warping is a problem, you can simply put a strip 2 inch ply down each side of the top and you will have a telescoping cover. I also modified D. Coates plans and made 4 medium nucs for this year too. They worked well last year. Housed a split and a cut out.
    Were they the 8 frame or 5? You have plans for the 5 frame mediums you modified? I have the 8 frame medium plans but can't find one for 5 frame medium.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Covington, Alabama, USA
    Posts
    300

    Default Re: D. Coates 5 Frame Nuc

    Quote Originally Posted by MCG1238 View Post
    Were they the 8 frame or 5? You have plans for the 5 frame mediums you modified? I have the 8 frame medium plans but can't find one for 5 frame medium.
    5 frame mediums. I just took 3 inches off the sides, the fronts and the backs. Everything else remained the same.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Charleston South Carolina
    Posts
    312

    Default Re: D. Coates 5 Frame Nuc

    Quote Originally Posted by psm1212 View Post
    5 frame mediums. I just took 3 inches off the sides, the fronts and the backs. Everything else remained the same.
    Psm I tried to convert the deeps to mediums and normally I'm pretty good at math. I figured it all up and cut three sheets of plywood nuc boxes out. It was absolutely wrong and none of the pieces really worked. I made an expensive bonfire.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Henry County,GA
    Posts
    17

    Default Re: D. Coates 5 Frame Nuc

    Quote Originally Posted by Charlestonbee View Post
    Psm I tried to convert the deeps to mediums and normally I'm pretty good at math. I figured it all up and cut three sheets of plywood nuc boxes out. It was absolutely wrong and none of the pieces really worked. I made an expensive bonfire.
    Yeah... 3" would work but I wanted to know if there was a cut sheet to MAXIMIZE the plywood and usable scraps.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Charleston South Carolina
    Posts
    312

    Default Re: D. Coates 5 Frame Nuc

    Yeah I tried mcg. Let me know if you get that cut sheet

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Covington, Alabama, USA
    Posts
    300

    Default Re: D. Coates 5 Frame Nuc

    I do not have a cut sheet. Seems like I tried to pencil it out on my work bench to squeeze 5 boxes instead of just 4, but I could not do it, so I just used the same cuts from the Deep plans, less the 3 inches. Unfortunately, your lengths do not change and you still need full tops and bottoms, so I was just left with bigger chunks of waste. Probably a way to do it, but I quit pretty early in that game. 4 medium nucs for one sheet of 1/2 inch ply was a good enough deal for me.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    San Mateo, CA
    Posts
    6,066

    Default Re: D. Coates 5 Frame Nuc

    http://beesource.com/build-it-yourse...oates-version/

    Is this what you are looking for?

    If you download the .pdf it has a cutsheet.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Henry County,GA
    Posts
    17

    Default Re: D. Coates 5 Frame Nuc

    Quote Originally Posted by odfrank View Post
    http://beesource.com/build-it-yourse...oates-version/

    Is this what you are looking for?

    If you download the .pdf it has a cutsheet.
    Yes but specific for a 5 frame medium. Wondering if the saved inches could get me another hive on one sheet or maybe half a hive and get 4.5 per sheet... 9 hives per 2 sheets.... I know there is a program out there but I don't have it and maybe I'm just being to greedy.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    SE Michigan
    Posts
    81

    Default Re: D. Coates 5 Frame Nuc

    Last summer I found two cut sheets for making 5 of the 5-frame medium DCoates nucs from a single sheet of 15/32 or 1/2 plywood. I have attached both.
    Med-5-Frame-Nuc-Cut-List.jpgMedium-Five-Frame-Nuc-Cut-List.jpg

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Henry County,GA
    Posts
    17

    Default Re: D. Coates 5 Frame Nuc

    Quote Originally Posted by 357 View Post
    Last summer I found two cut sheets for making 5 of the 5-frame medium DCoates nucs from a single sheet of 15/32 or 1/2 plywood. I have attached both.
    Med-5-Frame-Nuc-Cut-List.jpgMedium-Five-Frame-Nuc-Cut-List.jpg
    Awesome! Thank you!!! Now I feel like a glutton.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    SE Michigan
    Posts
    81

    Default Re: D. Coates 5 Frame Nuc

    Glad I could help. Keep in mind that the kerf (or saw blade width) may or may not have been included in the cut sheet measurements. I haven't verified that one way or another just yet as each time I started a new sheet of plywood I made mistakes reducing my output to 4 nucs per sheet.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Henry County,GA
    Posts
    17

    Default Re: D. Coates 5 Frame Nuc

    I'll let you know soon.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    N.E. KY
    Posts
    974

    Default Re: D. Coates 5 Frame Nuc

    Another modification I do is, forget about the bottom board. I have some with the bottom board and many without. I can now stack them as high as I want.
    www.facebook.com/hives2honey Oxalic Vaporizers, supplement and more!!!!!! Check me out.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    SE Michigan
    Posts
    81

    Default Re: D. Coates 5 Frame Nuc

    I cut the bottom boards for at least every other one. I also use a hole-saw rather than notching the bottom of the front end for an entrance. This may make it a little harder for them to drag out dead bees and/or debris. I skip the entrance hole on every other box as well.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Crown Point, NY, USA
    Posts
    248

    Default Re: D. Coates 5 Frame Nuc

    Would cdx ply be good for these nucs ?

  19. #19
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    SE Michigan
    Posts
    81

    Default Re: D. Coates 5 Frame Nuc

    CDX is what I used, C side out. I'm pretty sure I paid $15/sheet for 15/32" at Lowes.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Crown Point, NY, USA
    Posts
    248

    Default Re: D. Coates 5 Frame Nuc

    How long would these nucs last in terms of years before needing replacement?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Ads