Default Maxant 3100-H (hand crank model)... Should I order?

I have been using the club extractor (for free), but it doesn't do deeps. I really need the ability to extract deeps, but I am on a TIGHT budget.

Any suggestions? I have spent countless hours researching, and was going to go with Dadant, but I really like that the Maxant has the ability to do deeps, mediums, or shallows without having to buy additional accessories.

Default Re: Maxant 3100-H (hand crank model)... Should I order?

I also am on a tight budget and have been shopping around. Maxant is apparently very well received in the beekeeping community. I am also looking on ebay and the Vivo 4/8 frame has an attractive price (cheaper than the same product on Amazon) and it will take all three frame sizes. It is difficult to get reviews except for the ones posted on Amazon and Ebay. I can't find any reviews on beesource.
    Last edited by billabell; 05-21-2015 at 07:47 PM. Reason: addition

i bought a vivo 4/8 electric this winter. i tested it it seems ok. some of my brothers know the maxants they are master metal workers. the maxant really is the best, the metal is much thicker. sadly it is not quite in my budget now.

Stacie, how many hives and/or how many supers will you need to extract?
    Adam - Zone 5A
    www.adamshoney.com

I would bite the bullet and buy one with a motor.

I own the Maxant 3100 hand cranck model, I like it and used it last year to extract 25 gallons of honey, I plan to purchase the motor kit for it this year. If you can spare the funds go ahead and buy the 3100P, it will save you a little money in the long run rather than purchasing the upgrade later. I looked at several extractors prior to purchase, Maxant is hands down the best made in my opinion.
    Last edited by Colby828; 05-22-2015 at 04:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by My-smokepole View Post
    A friend of mine bought the motor kit the very next year...

"Save money" and buy the powered model. Your friends, family, and shoulder/arm joints will be thankful!
    Last edited by BeeCurious; 05-22-2015 at 05:33 AM. Reason: Typo
    BeeCurious
    Trying to think inside the box...

Get the powered model! Been there and done that!

If spending half again what the extractor costs is not in the budget then that's how it is. I understand this completely. If I wanted an extractor and had a hard budget that would allow me to get the 3100H then I would do so. There are simply no better extractors. I have a 20 frame but I do understand that there is a big difference between the hand and powered price. Very big. All they sell is quality so add the motor when you wish but GET THE MAXANT!

Working with quality equipment is a joy that endures long after the pain of the purchase fades. Working with junk is a pain that endures long after the joy of a cheap price fades.
    Those are my words and I am trade marking them here and now
    Everything has a price though!

Thanks all! I have 8 hives currently, but only plan to extract from 4 this year. I am hoping that I will continue to grow and increase, and can upgrade to the power version when I can afford it. Right now it's just not possible. To be honest, even the hand crank is a little out of the budget and I am stretching it to get it, but I really want to go with a reputable brand that is made in the USA.

And, if I do upgrade later, is it incredibly difficult to add the motor on? Or is it a fairly straight-forward process? Same quality as buying the motorized version from the get-go?

Quote Originally Posted by StacieM View Post
    And, if I do upgrade later, is it incredibly difficult to add the motor on? Or is it a fairly straight-forward process? Same quality as buying the motorized version from the get-go?
    the maxant and most other brands use the same extractor for both electric and manual. the vivo is imported, its electric drive is name brand imported, maybe even a bit better than the one maxant uses. updating the maxant is easy. updating the others may be more difficult to find the parts. the manual plus the conversion adds something like $100 to just starting with the electric maxant. i got my vivo from amazon for $20 more than ebay but i also got no interest for 6 months with my amazon account, well into honey harvest time. it took 5 minutes to sell my manual 2 frame at the bee club meeting. everybody, except maybe teddy maxant was happy.

but only plan to extract from 4 this year.
    To be honest, even the hand crank is a little out of the budget
    You need to reality check just a bit here. Extracting for 4 hives is a Saturday afternoon project, done twice a year. For the other 363 days, that extractor is just a shiny garage ornament. I extract for considerably more than 4 hives, and we actually do it 3 times a year, so my shiny 18 frame extractor is put to good use for 3 days, and spends 362 days of the year being an oversized dust collector that's always in the way in the garage.

If budget is tight, then get whatever will do the job, and fit the budget. The difference between motorized and powered, for 4 or so colonies, is a couple hours of sweat and maybe a little A535 on the shoulders once done. If budget is tight, the difference between motorized and powered could be months of endless grief from the significant other if you blow the budget.

As far as the thickness of the steel and such goes, yes, it's really nice to have a better built unit if that fits budget. If it doesn't, the cheaper one will do the job, and probably last 10 years instead of 30 years, it's not like it's a tool you will use all day, every day. It gets used 2 or 3 days of the year, and spends the rest of the time collecting dust.

Just my $0.02, and since we dont use pennies here in canuck land anymore, it rounds to $0.00 at the till.

grozzie has a good point. if i were planning on extracting 4 this year and bought the manual then i would have a record harvest for all 8 plus 7 more new swarms, and break something in my shoulder at the same time. if i bought the electric then a dearth plus weird weather would result in only 4 frames to extract, that much available if i fed the rest of the season... do what fits your long range plans not just this year.

Quote Originally Posted by My-smokepole View Post
    GET THE MOTOR

You'll be glad you did.

The great thing about the Maxant 3100 H is that it will get you "in the door" with a quality piece of equipment which you'll be able to grow into both in bees (more hives in the future), and equipment (upgrade to the motor at such time as you feel necessary). There is also the value of having a piece of equipment that's actually worth something. The Maxant's hold their values better than gold and you'll always be able to get spare parts if ever necessary. Besides, they're a great bunch of people who appreciate our community (and all made in the good ol' USA).
    Consider it a Memorial Day purchase.
    Zone 8a - Elev.~ 1,100 ft. Sandy, OR.
    Apiculture: A culmination of animal husbandry and alchemy.

Quote Originally Posted by Capphd View Post
    GET THE MOTOR

You'll be glad you did.
    If getting the powered model is out of the question for this year I'd just crush and strain and put the extractor purchase on hold.

The extractor you're looking at is not easy to crank. A lot of energy is wasted in the engagement and disengagement of the V-Belt and the pulleys. Turning the horizontally mounted crank handle adds to the misery. I have cranked on one of these...

Crush and strain this year and make plans to use the wax.

Good luck!
    BeeCurious
    Trying to think inside the box...

I started out with the Maxant 3100H-2 model (2 medium frames max) as I was only running medium supers. Last year I had to do a lot of crush and strain since I had moved over to mostly deeps and had forgotten that my extractor would not do them. This year I bought the 9 frame basket for the 3100H so I can extract deeps. I don't have the powered kit yet as I'm content with the manual labor and don't extract much (20-30 gallons/year).

I'm extremely happy with my Maxant. Come harvest day (or day(s) before depending on weather) I scrub, power wash, dry it, and then put some food grade grease on the points that need it. After harvest, I sit the extractor out in the yard to let the girls clean up the honey. Once they're done getting most of the honey I also scrub it down and power wash it. It then sits in my shed collecting dust for the next 360+ days.

I have been using the club extractor (for free), but it doesn't do deeps. I really need the ability to extract deeps, but I am on a TIGHT budget.

Any suggestions? I have spent countless hours researching, and was going to go with Dadant, but I really like that the Maxant has the ability to do deeps, mediums, or shallows without having to buy additional accessories.
    I was in your shoes 2 years ago. I went ahead and bought the 3100H and haven't looked back.
    I think now that I have finally accumulated the majority of the tools I need to make my own hive woodenware, I may use part of my honey sales this year and spring for the motor. It's not hard without the motor, but it will speed things up a bit.

Good Luck
    Let's Eat Grandmaw ........... Let's Eat, Grandmaw.......Grammar Saves Lives