Default 1.5" Shim with Telescoping Cover for Top Entrance?

Wondering if I can get some advise; this is my first year and am trying to finalize my set-up here in CT.

I bought some used gear and have telescoping covers and some betterbee shims (1.5”). I want to use top entrances and am trying to use what I have on hand. I have read a number of posts about top entrances and telescoping covers and most end with the person moving to migratory covers or treating it as one (i.e. sliding it back).

My thought is this. The telescoping cover overhangs by 1.5”, the same height as the BB shim. So, if I use the M. Bush top entrance of cheap wood shims under the BB shim and throw the cover over that, the bees could fly right in as though the cover isn’t overhanging. Would this leave me with a mess of burr comb?

I am prepared for the “quit being ridiculous and just make some covers out of ¾” ply and call it a day” and I may end up doing just that.

Default Re: 1.5" Shim with Telescoping Cover for Top Entrance?

The tele cover is intended to use in conjunction with an inner cover. The inner cover acts as a roof from the perspective of bee space, and the tele provides a weathertight cover that should not blow off by virtue of the overhanging boards that overlap the top hive body.

A migratory cover with shims provides the same beespace function as the inner cover while not utilizing the tele cover at all. That would be why rocks or bricks sit on the migratory covers.

The problem with using a tele cover by itself is that if the bees propolize it in place it can be very difficult to open the hive because the overhanging boards prevent a hive tool from getting access to the junction of the cover and top box.

So for a better answer to your question tell us what you have in mind for the inner cover, or are you thinking of eliminating it?
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

if you you use a 1 1/2 shim this time of year then you will gain a lot more experience with dealing with burr comb than you want. the 1 1/2 shim is for fall and winter when the bees do not build much if any comb.

Quote Originally Posted by Rader Sidetrack View Post
    So for a better answer to your question tell us what you have in mind for the inner cover, or are you thinking of eliminating it?
    Yes, my thought was not using the inner cover.

Quote Originally Posted by mathesonequip View Post
    if you you use a 1 1/2 shim this time of year then you will gain a lot more experience with dealing with burr comb than you want. the 1 1/2 shim is for fall and winter when the bees do not build much if any comb.
    Thanks. That is what I figured as most use it for late season feeding.

if you are going to use a telescope cover use an inner cover also. this time of year the bees will attach the cover with burr comb and some propolis, as the season goes on it will be mostly propolis. you cannot get any leverage to get the telescope cover off with a hive tool if it is glued down. to open lift off the telescope cover, then pry up the inner cover to open. maintain bee space of 1/4 to 3/8 inch under the inner cover, this will reduce the gluing down. if you do not wish to use an inner cover then use a migratory cover, no inner cover required. your climate would work with a migratory cover year round most years.
    Last edited by mathesonequip; 04-24-2014 at 07:02 AM.

Make a migratory cover from plywood and shims as per Mr Bush. Test it out and temporarily store the tele cover and inners covers. If you like how the migratory cover performs, then later you can cut up the tele cover to make more migratory covers (or whatever).

I make my migratory covers oversize. From my perspective the 'extended drip edge' from the oversize cover encourages rainwater to drip off directly to the ground instead of running down the hive bodies. If my bees were actually 'migratory', oversize migratory lids would not work well as they could not allow the hives to be nestled together on the semi-truck properly.

I also use angled cleats on the hive bodies instead of cutting handholds. The top and bottom surfaces of the cleats are cut at a 15 degree angle from horizontal such that rainwater runs off the outer edge rather than running down the hive bodies. Of course, cleats will take more space on the semi, so are not migratory friendly. While I might move some hives to an outyard or two, I am never going to haul bees long distance.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Really appreciate the help. I think I will whip up a couple migratory covers tonight.

No plans on moving hives, so maybe I will start with oversized and then cut down from there if needed.

1 1/2" of excess space will make 1 1/2" of burr comb...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF