Thread: Beesley

Default Beesley

Hi! I am new at beekeeping . I have two hives one I started in April , with a package of bees. The other I started today with a nuk. I am afraid I may have harmed these bees. When I was trying to remove the frames from the temporary box they slid off my tool, and dropped back into the temporary hive. This happened three times so the bees were very agitated and started swarming me. I did make the transfer and it seems as though the bees have gone into the hive . I'm worried about it. Also on my first hive there is a whitish yellowish residue that the bees are removing from the box. Someone mentioned chalkbrood but it looks like rocksalt not really like larva. Any help greatly appreciated thanks

Default Re: Beesley

The ones you dropped should settle down and the only way to know if they are okay is to move them and watch for the queen to start laying eggs. Could the whitish yellowish residue you write about be the start of wax building (bur comb)?

Welcome to the forums.
    Try living life with the attitude it's not about what you want to do but what you should do!

Welcome Beesley, You'll get the hang of things. You have already found a great resource of information. From beginners to sages. If the pieces are really small is could just be cappings being chewed off of stored honey or brood emerging.
    “Everything will be all right in the end... if it's not all right then it's not yet the end”

Welcome Beesley!
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

Hi thanks for the reassurance. Today when I got home from work they seemed much calmer. Thank goodness. I felt so bad . Someone else mentioned that it could be wax also. I'll check on that tomorrow , I dont want to keep bothering them . Thanks again!

Hi I guess that is how we learn , from our mistakes . I woke up twice thinking I was getting stung! Haha