Default Registering apiary in Ohio

My friend told me I need to register my apiary here in Ohio, is it correct? What are good/bad sides to it? How do I do it?

Default Re: Registering apiary in Ohio

It's easy to do. Cost is $5.00 per hive.
    To to this site and print the form. Fill it in and mail it.

http://www.agri.ohio.gov/public_docs...t_4201-002.pdf

I've made the decision to register my hives. There has been some pro/con discussion here before and I like being able to say I'm legit and I wouldn't mind getting some info from an inspector if they should stop. I'm always open to learning.

--- marty ---

That is correct -- you are required to register. The good side is that you get to have your hives inspected for pests and diseases by your county bee inspector (if you are selected for inspection in a particular year), which I consider a benefit because I may fail to recognize a problem due to my inexperience. Also, it's only $5.00 to register an you get a nifty registration certificate. I can't think of a bad side to it, other than the $5.00 and the postage stamp to send in the application, and you have to renew it annually before June 1st, otherwise I believe there is a late registration fee.

You do it by sending the $5.00 and the application form to the Ohio Dept. of Agriculture, which you can find here here:

http://www.agri.ohio.gov/apps/odalic...ry&type=Apiary

You can also find more information about Ohio beekeeping regulations by going here:

http://www.agri.ohio.gov/apiary/

I hope this helps.
    “Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.” – Albert Einstein

It is 5 dollars an apiarie. Not per hive. Due in june 1st.
    Last edited by giant pumpkin peep; 05-25-2011 at 09:46 AM. Reason: multitasking failure.
    Chris Cree
    Cree's Bees

Registering is required by Ohio law, and the inspector in our county couldn't be more helpful. He does an outstanding job and he will answer any questions you have.
    In my opinion it is well worth the $5.00, I can't imagine that this even covers the paper work.

JMTC

Joe
    Joe and Heidi S.

Chris is right, sorry.

--- marty ---

OK I will get on it. I wish I could send cash, I need to find a check, I never use checks

You also have the option when registering your apiaries to waive inspections by your county inspector. State law requires they be registered, but inspections are optional.

Why someone would refuse a free inspection and report from a professional county inspector is beyond me, but you have the choice.
    To everything there is a season....

Inspections are optional, but the State can get a search warrant and still inspect the apiary.

Not all Counties have inspectors. I am in Hancock County and we do not have an inspector yet.

Non registered apiaries risk being destroyed by the State.

Ohio laws on apiaries can be found here: http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/909

I'm in Ohio also and am looking for others in our state. Plus I would like to find out if the is a club or group in or near Ashtabula County.

Quote Originally Posted by FindlayBee View Post
    Inspections are optional, but the State can get a search warrant and still inspect the apiary.

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/909
    They will only go to this extreme if there is an AFB outbreak in the area and they have ruled out all other apiaries in the vicinity. I think registering the hives is worth it. It's 5 bucks a yard!

Definitely worth it, especially when you're new to it - a second set of (experienced) eyes never hurts.
    (The sometimes-mentioned downside is that there could be a higher risk of cross-infection from something (mites, lice, virus, etc) as the inspectors go from yard to yard, but I believe they would clean between inspections, especially if there was an infectious problem.)

It is in the mail. It looks like I will make the June 1 deadline

Another advantage is that you can be notified if any spraying that might affect you is done in the area.

Thanks for reminding me I need to post do not spray signs along the road. I have about 600 ' of frontage I do not want them to spray