Default Swarm just left. Now what?

I was just out observing my two hives. They seemed active and fine from the entrance, so I went around (20 yards+ away) to see what they were working in the yard. A few minutes later I heard a loud humm from above the two hives and there were thousands of bees is a loose swarm. They were buzzing around in a pattern about 25 feet accross and tall. They very very slowly made their way across the yard and through the neighbors yard.

So, now from the entrance the activity seems just fine. Opening the top I can see one hive has a little bit less bees, but that could be from workers just being out collecting. So, what should I look for at this point? The most active hive was the one I would have guessed it was. A week ago they had one brood box. Another box full of honey(1/2 capped) and the top box was about 1/4 drawn on empty frames. So I moved the honey to the top (NO BROOD WAS IN ANY OF THE FRAMES) and put the partially drawn in between. I guessed maybe it was this hive, but it wasn't - I don't think. The other hive had 2 boxes of brood comb and only 1 box half full of honey.

I had planned on giving each a new super this week, but since they weren't at least 3/4 drawn on what they had.

So, could this have been someone else's swarm? Was this my swarm (How would I know?)? If it was mine, what should I look for now???

Default Re: Swarm just left. Now what?

First of all, go catch that swarm if it's not too high.

Quote Originally Posted by jip View Post
    First of all, go catch that swarm if it's not too high.
    I would have, but they went across the neighbor's property and I lost em after that.

I'm thinking maybe they're not from my hives, but I've never heard of a 'visiting' swarm. They were flying directly over my hives in the air about 10 feet or so.

I just had a feral swarm combine with an already established hive in my yard.The established hive had a soon to be 'pinched' queen.She was laying real 'spotty'.Guess the bees knew best.Anyways,I nwas telling an old[95yrs]retired beekeeper about it &he told me that it happened to him a few times&it was nice to have twice as many bees&a new queenwithout the work&worry.He also said you can start tapping on something when you see a swarm&they will light&cluster up.Haven't had the opportunity to try this,but waiting.

Well hopefully they will fly up to ky and i will hive them for ya!