Default Custom Built Observation Hive

Hive Open.JPGHive Feeder1.JPGI built this several years ago, and would like to get back to retooling it at some point. I just cleaned it up and put on a new coat of poly a few days ago, so it looks much prettier now that the cherry has aged a bit. I plan on making several designs that follow furniture architecture - Greene and Greene, Craftsman, Krenov, etc.

Anyway, this holds 6 frames - 3 deep, 3 medium. The glass is double paned safety glass, which makes it heavy, but safe. I took this to schools and would show the kids. There is a matching set of drawers for the other side which protects the glass when I'm moving it. I designed the miller feeder for the top and it has a screened bottom board with additional screened vents.

It hangs on the wall from a French cleat due to the weight. Thoughts / Critiques appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Custom Built Observation Hive

Very nice you want to make another one haha!! I would love to have one in the house so I could watch the girls whenever I wanted. How did you run your entrance is it thru the wall or the window?

That's awesome! Well integrated into the home!!!

Quote Originally Posted by darrellva View Post
    Very nice you want to make another one haha!! I would love to have one in the house so I could watch the girls whenever I wanted. How did you run your entrance is it thru the wall or the window?
    The entrance goes through the window. The window was raised about 3", and then locked into position with 2 blocks at the top. Then, I ripped a thick board that was 3" wide, and put that in the opening. A hole was drilled to accept the clear flexible access tube that they used so the basically go in and out the window.

Couple notes. The bees will make a mess of the window and frame. In my new house, I'm still going to use the window method (probably - I bought some extra siding) but I'm going to use a large sheet of vinyl trim coil to produce a landing pad, and will put a hook in it so it will hook under the vinyl siding. That way, they won't stain the actual siding.

Very nice. I'm keeping a list of what I've learned from my own observation hive for a future thread. Very rewarding!
    Try living life with the attitude it's not about what you want to do but what you should do!

Beautiful job! Reveal is perfect! Refreshing to see something that wasnt cobbled together by a wood butcher!
    It takes a family to raise a family, it takes a village to really screw that up... Djei5

Thank you. My golden mean proportions were a little off on this one, so I plan on making some visual adjustements next time, but thanks for the comments on the doors. The reveal can be a challenge. I still have desings for a different top, and a stand for when I take it for a bee talk at schools. The next will be be a refinement of this design, and then I'll start doing things like copper sheets in the doors, and doing one in a Krenov style and one in Greene and Greene.