Cool Short Video on Cutouts and what it looks like when you have a virgin laying queen

Here's a video I shot of myself taking a hive out of a bedroom ceiling. I haven't had anyone yet debate the conclusion we had of this virgin laying queen, so I am happy to receive comments. Since I did not capture the queen during the cutuout (she either escape, or was killed on the floor) the hive should be going back to normal. I put a frame of brood with a swarm cell in it, and now they have a beautiful new queen (all black - I almost didn't see her since I was looking for an Italian queen)

Anyway, enjoy. Feel free to leave critique. I have a thick skin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=275wJgj_rlA

Oh, and if you want to see a video that's really sad, check this one out.
    http://www.nbc12.com/story/14637675/...mans-apartment

Default Re: Short Video on Cutouts and what it looks like when you have a virgin laying queen

Looks like you did a good job, I've never seen a wild hive with a junk queen before. I'm thinking they would not have lasted.

Being all drone brood, it doesn't matter, but it looked like some of the comb pieces were put in the frames upside down. If it were good comb you would want keep the top, the top.
    Thanks for posting

Default Re: Short Video on Cutouts and what it looks like when you have a virgin laying queen

Wow! Good catch! I actually realized it later and flipped them. I need to build a tray to hang off my ladder to support the comb. It's really tough to handle the wild comb frames and do the cutout by myself and I was more focused at the time on trying to figure out why the comb looked so weird. I don't think they would have survived very long. There weren't nearly as many bees as I would have expected when i opened it up, and there was hardly any honey in the hive.