Default What do I do with my first full honey super?

I inspected my honey super on April 25th about a month after moving the bees to my property and found 5 of the 10 frames at least partially filled with uncapped honey. If things have progressed as I expect, I should have one honey super full now. I placed two honey supers on when I originally set the hive up not knowing any better.

But my question is: If I find the top super full (or nearly so) do I remove it completely or just swap places with the bottom honey super?

If I remove it, then what? Is it too early to harvest the honey? The guy I bought the bees from said I ought to wait until the 3rd week in June to harvest any honey but didn't say why. I'd appreciate any advice you have to offer.

Default Re: What do I do with my first full honey super?

Will you be extracting? If you doing crush and strain, you can take a frame or box, any time they are 90% capped. If extracting it's much easier to do it all at once, saves on setup, and cleanup.

If you extract that super and stick it back on the hive they will fill it back up again.speeds up production a little.

Quote Originally Posted by brac View Post
    Will you be extracting? If you doing crush and strain, you can take a frame or box, any time they are 90% capped. If extracting it's much easier to do it all at once, saves on setup, and cleanup.
    Agree 100%. Suggest crush and strain until you build up hive count, or better stated, if your hives require a lot of supers then maybe extract.
    Try living life with the attitude it's not about what you want to do but what you should do!

Agree with above post, depends on if you crush or spin. But if you pull it now and arn't sure what to do with it send it to me I'll think of somthing to do with it Jim
    Stop and smell the flowers, 50,000 ladies can't be wrong
    Bsweetapiary@aol.com

If its ready, & you're not ready to do anything with it. Just add another super on top or bottom.
    Dan