Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Cut Comb Honey Production

Drakos,

What we mean by that is as the bees continue to walk across the capped comb they leave dirt making the capped comb darker. It no longer has the bright white appearance of freshly capped comb. We try not to leave comb honey on the hive very long after it is capped.

Tom

drakos~
    "Thanks for the reply, but I don't understand the expression <<tracked >> on. It is not my mother language. Can you say it in more words please? "

my apologies drakos, and a warm hello to you in athens, greece

yes, 'tracked'...... what tom (TWall) said~ "What we mean by that is as the bees continue to walk across the capped comb they leave dirt making the capped comb darker. It no longer has the bright white appearance of freshly capped comb. We try not to leave comb honey on the hive very long after it is capped."

if i see any 'travel stain' appearing, as tom said, from the bees walking across the comb, i will move the frame out towards the end of the box, like position 2 and 7, and might even *flip the frame around when it is moved to avoid any additional stain to that side of the frame. this is also the reason i place the empty frames away from the center, position 3 and 6, to avoid having any travel stain (walking of the bees) on the face of any existing white comb.(*flipping the frame side that faced the 2 center frames). as soon as the frame is fully capped, i remove it for the same reason, and as tom also indicated.

also, you can place the frames in position 2 and 7. it is imperative that you choose a strong colony and have a very strong or strong nectar flow. i like to place them in 3 and 6 because the bees will draw the comb, fill and cap them before position 2 and 7, and also if they are in position 2 and 7 and your nectar flow slows or quits, you might wind up with frames that are not filled.

i hope this answers your question and is helpful. best wishes to you on trying comb honey!

Thank you both for your answers!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12