Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Advice on tractor

Now that we have a few acres, I need something to mow on a larger scale, move snow from the driveway, work up a future huge garden, post holes, etc. Working on a budget, so I'm primarily looking at older tractors, but a new Kubota would be the cat's meow. Here are today's options:

One- Ford 2N with a bush hog. Nice condition paint, except bad brakes, still 6Volt, runs like a top. $2,500 for both items.
    Two- a 8N that has been completely overhauled, no implements with it. He has a 3-point blade that I'd like to team up into a deal with the tractor. $3,100
    Three- 9N Paint is rough, looks like it never spent a night in a shed. Runs good, bad brakes (has brake bands he will throw in), converted 12Volt, 3-point spring tooth, some other misc. parts. He was going to rebuild, but just never got around to it. $1,500
    > I can get a set of rear tire chains for these Fords for $175, unless I can talk the guy down.
    Four- dang, just missed it, I was caller #2: IH 2424 (40 HP industrial) with blade, disc, tiller, two bottom plow, brush hog. $3,500.
    Five- I can pick up a Farmall Cub & some implements fairly easily. Man, do I like those cute little tractors! But... no 3-point, PTO spins the wrong direction, only 9.6 HP drawbar, but they do make a front snow blade and a lot of implements that compliment these little guys.
    Six- Ford 9N with a plow & disc. $2,500

All the Ford tractors are about the same distance, four different directions from me. Technically, a Ford 8N is the best of the Ford options, all things being equal. Both brakes are on the right side, four speeds not three, a teeny more HP,made from 48-52. The 2N's were made during WWII- 42-47. 9N's were made from 39-42 and the newer you go, the more options, HP, slightly better 'this and that', etc. All have 540 rpm PTO and Category I 3-point.

Thanks!

Default Re: Advice on tractor

Door #2 is your best choice.

Used implements are easy to find.

8N parts are easy to find.

Holds resale value

I was in the same boat last fall and ended up with a restored Ford 2000

Love my 1948 8N. Mechanically simple. Parts are cheap and easy to get. Enough power to do everything I want.

Any hills? Single stage clutch w PTO gets interesting

#2 sounds like your best bet topeka is right.

Quote Originally Posted by tecrench View Post
    Any hills? Single stage clutch w PTO gets interesting
    I agree. I will never own another tractor without a 2-stage clutch, also called "live power".

A bush hog can push you into a tree, through a fence, or into a gully if you are not very careful.

I agree with the other post that the 8n is the best option. The 8n is the easiest to find parts for. Also I would advise a slip clutch attachment to the PTO to prevent a bush hog from pushing you into the pond or through a fence. You can get them at most tractor supply stores.

You might try looking around for a used Kubota L175, L185, L225, L245, L275, or L285. These are great little tractors that hold up well and the smaller end of this line of L series tractors is in your price range. I have had gas tractors and they did OK, but I far and away prefer diesel power. Much more reliable over the long run when properly maintained. These tractors are outfitted with a modern and more up to date cat. 0 or cat 1 (depending upon the model) 3 pt. hitch as well as a a multi-speed pto. Their smaller size allows them to be much more maneuverable and fit into much more restricted spaces.

http://www.tractorhouse.com/list/lis...175&mdlx=exact

http://www.tractorhouse.com/list/lis...TA&MDLGrp=L185

http://www.tractorhouse.com/list/lis...225&mdlx=exact

http://www.tractorhouse.com/list/lis...TA&MDLGrp=L245

Some of the older John Deere compact tractors may be a good choice as well. Mind you that the green paint comes at a premium in most cases.

http://www.tractorhouse.com/list/lis...650&mdlx=exact

Another good choice is the Yanmar line of tractors. You need to be careful and shop around to make sure you are getting one of the tractors that is low hours and has been properly maintained and not one of the grey market imports that have been only repainted. Yanmar makes a great little tractor. In fact, they made all of the compact tractors for John Deere up through the 790 and 990, and provided the engines for just about all of their compact tractors up until most recently.

http://www.tractorhouse.com/list/lis...&MDLGrp=YM1810

My first tractor was a gas powered Cub 154 Lo Boy I used for about 12 years. I traded it for a Kubota L245 and later traded the L245 in on a John Deere 4410. They all have their good and bad points. The Ford 8N and sister machines have been around for many years and are good tractors too for the dollar spent.

In my opinion, probably the 2 best over all BASIC simple gear shift diesel compact tractors ever built were the John Deere 790 which set the standard for all the others that followed and its big brother the 990. Both of these tractors were manufacture by Yanmar in Japan for John Deere. They both have VERY simple, basic, and pretty much bullet proof design. Kubota is a neck and neck second. Very good as well.

If you are like me, you will be like a kid in a candy store shopping for tractors. :O)

Quote Originally Posted by Stanisr View Post
    I agree with the other post that the 8n is the best option. The 8n is the easiest to find parts for. Also I would advise a slip clutch attachment to the PTO to prevent a bush hog from pushing you into the pond or through a fence. You can get them at most tractor supply stores.
    I think you meant to say an over running pto clutch? The slip clutch is a torque limiting clutch used on many impliments. The over running pto clutch mounts to the tractor pto shaft and prevents the momentum of the impliment being power from feeding back into the tractor pto drive train and pushing or causing it to move forward or backwards depending up which gear the tractor is in.

I sure like my Super M with live hydraulics and Duall loader. Get's the job done and easy to find parts for.

You said you have a few acres? You might want to consider a Kubota BX25-sure it is Japanese, but it is made in Georgia. And it is the ONLY compact utility tractor in its class that comes with a front end loader AND a backhoe. It has a small 3 point and mid and rear PTOs. And did I mention that I can remove the backhoe in about 4 minutes? 25 horse power with an auto transmission. I got a midmount mower for mine and a small box blade. It is a blast!

I was remise in not mentioning the Massey Ferguson 135 which comes in gas and diesel and has a very good reputation for being reliable, simple to work on and part availability.

http://www.tractorhouse.com/list/lis...135&mdlx=exact

Live Oak has the best one yet! I have a 1970 Massey 135 w/ 3 cylinder Perkins gas engine. It runs like a champ and parts are fairly easy to get. I can pull my Woods FM72 flail mower up and down hills all day long without a problem (a buddy has a Ford 8N that won’t even lift it). I just need 3pt forks to move bees now!
    Visit us at www.farmzee.com for everything related to small farms!

I really like my L4400. I have the box blade, straight blade, landscape rake, chipper/shredder, brush hog, front loader. The hydrostatic transmission is great for guys like me who aren't really intensive users but need to get some stuff done in a hurry on occassion. Youtube has some great how-to videos of tractors. Everyone told me to get more tractor than I thought I'd need and I'm glad I did.
    Nobody ruins my day without my permission, and I refuse to grant it...

Guys- thanks for the great advice and suggestions. I should have known talking to bee keepers that I'd get so many suggestions! Some of the tractor model recommendations are just not available reasonably close to our area or else are way over my budget.

I'm leaning to the overhauled 8N - I do want live PTO, prefer gasolene over diesel, can get parts for them easily, grew up running one, etc. I know some of these newer compact diesels have amazing hydraulics, but maybe I can trade up in a few years.

Yep, they aren't cheap. But someday if you can upgrade to a front end loader, you won't regret it-incredibly helpful implement. Good luck with the 8N. I like classic iron-had a JD 420 and it was a beast!

Hard to go wrong with an 8N or 9N. Cheap, ubiquitous, lots of parts and implements around. That is, if you want gasoline power.

Affordable diesel tractors... I like Kubota.

I am with Live Oak also. I had a 8n and found that it was lacking in power, even after being overhaules. I upgraded to a Massey Ferguson 35 diesel. Dual stage clutch is a major plus. It easily runs my 60# tiller and 72# back blade. Parts are easy to get and they are easy to work on. If you can't find one, go with the 8n and maintain it until you can upgrade, they hold their value really well.

All the N's are pretty basically the same.The HP is the same on all of them but they rate the HP from different points like one is rated at the 8n is rated at the pto and the 9n is rated at a different point.Great tractors.I would go with an 8n because of the 4 speed trans and the newer 8n's have the side mount distributor and usually not as worn out as the 9n's and 2n's but there are plenty of parts out there for them.I have a 1937 9n and in first gear it seems to run just a little too fast for me but the first gear of the 8n is just right.

More Power!!!

http://awesomehenry.com/
    Ed, KA9CTT profanity is IGNORANCE made audible
    you can`t fix stupid not even with duct tape

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast