Default Caught My First Swarm: Absconded

So, I caught my first swarm last week. The bees landed in some the pine trees just behind the old hive. I was able to climb up and retrieve all the bees and placed them in a new hive. Dumping them into their new home I even saw the old queen (marked blue). I gave them sugar syrup, undrawn foundation, and reduced the entrance.

They stayed in the hive for a few days, then took off without a trace. Upon inspecting it the next week, there was drawn foundation, and even eggs layed in one frame.

Why would they have left? What can I do better next time to get them to stay?
    Last edited by n0rmand0; 05-16-2011 at 02:35 PM.

Default Re: Caught My First Swarm: Absconded

Bees are still wild creatures. You could offer them government bailouts, free subsidies, make everything that is productive pay for their existence, but bees will be bees!
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

AmericasBeekeeper: I love your post!!!

Quote Originally Posted by AmericasBeekeeper View Post
    Bees are still wild creatures. You could offer them government bailouts, free subsidies, make everything that is productive pay for their existence, but bees will be bees!
    Yeah..... a bridge card, so they can buy donuts and mountain dew for the kids. But with the bees, I would try a a egg and or larvae anchor maybe. But sometimes they just are not happy until they pick their final home.