Default homemade mobile honey crush and strain extraction apparatus (pic, 3 min video)

One medium frame, one quart, newly drawn plasticell , Saw
    Palmetto honey, crushed and strained. A homemade apparatus. Taken 5/16/11 as South Florida Palmetto winds down and lovebugs wind up. About 80 degrees outside. Two hives had 2 supers each, more than I expected. And one weak hive had almost nothing. 7" course dome, and 5" fine conical strainers. Strainers just cradle, are removable. Course strainer needs to be emptied, each frame. Conical lasts a few frames before the flow slows. Of course, it is a waste of bee labor. Not sure, think there is some floral mixed in, but they were surrounded by acres of blooming Palmetto. Not peddling any wares, just happy to get some percentage of herbal, medicinal, Palmetto. Yum, private stock..

Last edited by southeastflorida; 05-16-2011 at 05:24 PM.
    acrylic projects picture blog
    http://plasticsjournal.livejournal.com/

Default Re: homemade mobile honey crush and strain extraction apparatus (pic, 3 min video)

Very nice, Enjoy. Jim
    Stop and smell the flowers, 50,000 ladies can't be wrong
    Bsweetapiary@aol.com

Default Re: homemade mobile honey crush and strain extraction apparatus (pic, 3 min video)

So a medium frame yields about a quart jar of honey. Nice.

Adam

Have you had any trouble getting the bees to re-drawl out the plasticell after you clean it out? You may experience, that once the plastic is exposed, they might ignore it.
    Always question Conventional Wisdom.

I have used the same method for 2 seasons now - I only have one hive at the moment. I have not had any trouble with the bees rebuilding the comb after I scraped the honey and comb off.

And I also consistently get about one quart of honey per full frame using this method. Our local honey store told me that for a hobbyist with less than 10 hives, a centerfuge was a luxury I could do without.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one.

nice video

Quote Originally Posted by bjtmjc View Post
    ...a centerfuge was a luxury I could do without...
    I think there's something great about getting into the sticky mess and crushing, straining and/or cut combing when you first start out. to me, fresh, clean honeycomb is almost like some crazy fruit; like the inside of a giant grapefruit or something. To just pull out a big comb and take a big bite of it is something my family, friends and I found to be an almost religious experience last fall.

I can see how it would be less romantic if you had hundreds of frames to get through, but for the hobbyist, an extractor isn't necessary.

Adam

"crazy fruit" funny
    I have an off the grid, solar panel, rainwater sistern, extract area, but do the crush, just for "the experience"
    I have shown top cheifs, the crush system, and they thought it was quite the demo.
    Plasticell is redrawn, no problem. Maybe you are thinking about the factory coat of wax is gone, but it is no problem.

I like your apparatus. How much would it cost with the strainers all together?

I am not selling the plexiglas part, it is not a finished product.
    The strainers are around, I think publix etc.
    I just wanted to show how I get a decent on location honey sample with only 2 hands.
    You could construct a single strainer version, with only the conical one, pretty simply.

To bad I like the acrylic one, because you can clean it. I have to go to the hardware store and see what they have on acrylic material to make one. Never used acrylic material so cutting it will be interesting.