Hybrid View

Default Request for photos: Foundationless Frame

Hey guys,

Those of you out there with pictures of your foundationless frames and would be willing to share them with the rest of us; would you please post them on this thread? I would like to see any pictures in any stages of development by the bees or construction by you!

As always
    Appreciate the replies!

Moon
    We the willing have done so much with so little for so long we can now do anything with nothing

Default Re: Request for photos: Foundationless Frame

Mine are just a frame that I don't put foundation into. It takes longer to take and post a pic than to build 10 of them.

As to the comb, it has the occasional transition area (as natural comb will) but otherwise it's pretty much just comb.
    Bees, brews and fun
    in Lyons, CO

Frame from an early March split taken 5/17/11. I run most everything in Mediums with an unlimited brood nest.51711.jpg

John V: Nice

There's a couple pictures of my foundationless frames at various stages of comb on my blog. Can't post them here, too large, too lazy, other excuses.
    Solomon Parker, Parker Farms, ParkerFarms.biz
    11 Years Treatment-Free, ~25 Colony Baseline

[/QUOTE]

LOL, now that just looks like a big yellow butt!

If you use a starter strip of foundation will the bees build the whole comb out at that size cell or will they build whatever size they want.

It seems to depend on the season. If it is late in the year, they will build plenty of drone cells alongt with the worker cells. If earlier in the year, they will do it almost all worker cells.
    If you are talking about small cell vs. standard, I really don't know. I haven't experimented much with small cell foundationless comb. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply. I was most curious about cell size though. I'm trying to go to a small cell size and wondering if my use of larger cell starter stips, about 2 inch strips of I think 5.4, is hindering my goal

>Thanks for the reply. I was most curious about cell size though. I'm trying to go to a small cell size and wondering if my use of larger cell starter stips, about 2 inch strips of I think 5.4, is hindering my goal

The top row of cells is often larger anyway and they will quickly adjust it. It will work fine, but I'd make them 3/4" instead of 2". In fact I'd use wood strips instead of either as they are more durable, more reliable and won't have any affect on cell size.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Thanks for the info Michael. I plan too eventually use the wood strip only, but since I only recently got start back into keeping (swarm found an old hive i never tore down) I was worried about the possibility of a mess if I didn't give the girls a strong indication of where to start the draw.
    P.S. Does anyone else have problems posting photos from an iPhone photo gallery

Nube, in the three images I posted in this thread of frames with foundation as starter strips, the cells were smaller on the strips.
    When they drew comb below the strips it then got larger.

I had expected the opposite to happen and don't know why they are doing it that way.